1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dynamic IP to static

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ztrain, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ztrain

Ztrain Thread Starter

I am currently running a Windows XP machine on comcast high speed internet and they have switched to a dynamic ip address from a static one. However, I run an FTP server on my computer that spreads religious material to people in the surrounding town, not copyrighted, as a service. However, the dynamic ip address makes it difficult to allow for a usable link constantly. Is there any way to keep it static and prevent this from happening?

2. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Although I am tempted not to help your religious causes I'll give you some advice.

www.no-ip.com

It's free and easy to use. DHCP isn't a problem.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am suprised that your dynamic IP changes that much. I dont think my IP address has changed in 6 months on Road Runner and it is Dynamic. I do use NO-IP.com just in case it does.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!