1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Dynamic vs Basic Disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainforest123, Oct 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rainforest123

rainforest123 Thread Starter

I am trying to clone a Maxtor N256, 20 GB HDD, HP Pavillion, running Win 98 SE.
    Because I am trying to fix the malware problem & want to clone it, that's why! :D

ATA HDDs

I put the Maxtor as Primary Slave on a PC running Win XP Pro SP2.

The Maxtor is recognized, in the bios, but not in "my computer". Disk management wants me to initialize the HDD.

If I initialize the HDD, can I keep it "basic"? Win XP Disk Management informs me that a dynamic disk is visible only to Win 2000 & beyond.

Using Norton Ghost 2003, bootable Floppy, with the Maxtor as the Primary Master and a Western Digital, 80 GB IDE HDD as Primary Slave, "no valid source" error 11032 appears.

When trying to clone with Acronis True Image bootable CD, I am informed that there is no data on the disk.

Whew!

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,
    RF123

2. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

3. rainforest123

M51:
    Thanks.

During the initialization / conversion process, do I receive the option of ONLY initializing, and keeping the disk "basic"?

RF123

4. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

I'm not sure if I'm following this correctly but from what I can gather the drive you've put into the system to clone is somehow a dynamic disk and your Windows XP operating system cannot view it properly. Did you happen to have it in any type of RAID setup? Also to my understanding to convert a dynamic disk back to a basic disk requires all volumes on the drive to be deleted basically wiping the drive out so I don't think that's the way you want to go.

Here is another page that might shed more light on the situation:

http://www.petri.co.il/difference_between_basic_and_dynamic_disks_in_windows_xp_2000_2003.htm

5. rainforest123

6. rainforest123

M51:
    NO RAID involved.

I had tried the cloning by removing the "source" HDD from the HP Pavillion, connecting it to a different PC.

Next, I will try cloning on the HDD, first using Ghost 2003 on a bootable floppy. If that fails, I will try using Acronis 8 / 10.

My GUESS is that, for some reason, perhaps malware, the mbr went away, giving Ghost & Acronis the false impression that the "source" drive contained no data.

RF123

7. midnight51

midnight51 Banned

Sounds fairly accurate. After you rebuilt the MBR how does the WIN XP PRO system now view the drive in disk manager?

My guess is your desire to clone this drive is to play with it until you find the correct path to fix it? I hate this malware crap it destroyed 2 of my systems in the same week just recently... I commend your enthusiasm :cool:

8. rainforest123

Yes, M51, that is my goal.

The cloning process is currently running. It is an old machine; slow CPU & 128 MB ram.
    zzzzzz
    :)

I have no social life.

:))

RF123

9. FarRed

FarRed

Don't know if this at all addresses your concern. I'm not sure all what initializing does in Windows, but it does allow Windows to see what is on the disk. Don't convert to dynamic disk (different than initializing), otherwise Acronis can't clone it, and Ghost views it as a full disk. IOW, it sees a 160GB drive as 160GB of data, meaning you have several hours to watch it Ghost your drive. I discovered an undocumented feature of Ghost when, as in my case, some idiot converted his HDD to dynamic. After imaging the drive to a file and ghosting the image to another drive, the drive is now basic and boots fine, thus preventing me from having to wipe the dynamic drive and start over.

10. rainforest123

FarRed:
    Thanks.

RF123

11. RealMode

RealMode

It is very simple,
    Dynamic disk are not shows up in Windows Explorer, if u take a closer look into Control Panel>Administrativ Tools>Computer Managemen>Disk management your hard disk will be shown there with a ! sign and a Dynamic name.
    To solve the problem:
    1. Right click on the Dynamic disk and select Activate.
    2. Copy all your staffs from the disk
    3. Go back in control panel>disk management, right click on the Dynamic HDD and choose Convert to basic.
    4. After that disk will appear in Windows Explorer, and all the time so far...

Good luck.(y)

12. rainforest123

RM:
    Thanks. I am aware of that which you stated.

My question was & is: During the initialization / conversion process, do I receive the option of ONLY initializing, and keeping the disk "basic"?

Or stated differently, If I initialize the HDD, can I keep it "basic"? Win XP Disk Management informs me that a dynamic disk is visible only to Win 2000 & beyond.

RF123

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the old drive with the data is coming up as needing to be intialized then you have a serious problem - and if you go further you risk the chance of losing the data on the drive.

Norton GoBack would not have been installed on the drive would it? Or any drive overlay software?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!