1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E Drive being used up.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spriite54, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spriite54

Spriite54 Thread Starter

Hi, I'm not great with computers and my E drive is being used up. It is being used up by winre.wim. Is there a way to remove or reduce the size of this file?
    Thank you.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is your recovery file/partition and windows is supposed to manage the size of the partition ie it grows as you do updates, patches, etc.
    Post a screenshot of disk management. To post a screenshot;
    1 Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter
    2 Once disk mgt loads, hit the PrtScreem key on your keyboard
    3 Open whatever file viewer you use ie paint, irfanview, whatever. Click edit>paste
    4 Save the file as a jpeg type file and upload it here using the upload a file button

Done.

3. Spriite54

Spriite54 Thread Starter

Here you go.

Attached Files:

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your E partition is only 450meg ie about half a gig. If you are running out of space; you need a bigger drive. Even if you deleted the E partition and expanded C, it is not going to get you much space.

5. Spriite54

Spriite54 Thread Starter

Could I move the recovery file?

6. Spriite54

Spriite54 Thread Starter

I would much rather have it on my C: drive

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have what on the C drive; the file OR the space on E drive?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do understand that IF you move the recovery file, you are most likely NOT going to be able to restore/recover your windows install.

9. Spriite54

Spriite54 Thread Starter

Well, I'm really not sure how to fix this issue. I could purchase a larger drive but I still wouldn't know what to do after. Plus the notifications are extremely annoying telling me it's almost full.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If this were me, here is what I would do;
    1 Purchase another drive for backup purposes. Install the drive and partition/format
    2 Delete your current E drive
    3 Make an image backup of your system drive and store the image on your new drive. You can also make backups of any important files ie docs, pics, whatever

I use and recommend acronis true image for all imaging, cloning, etc. It is not free however [IMO] you get what you pay for [at least in this instance] There are free imaging programs OR you can use linux clonezilla to image the drive [also free however NOT the easiest thing to use]

By doing the above, you get rid of your problem of the E drive AND you still have the ability to restore your system.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is strange that your recovery partition even has a drive letter. When I do an install in eufi mode [which is how your windows was installed] The recovery partition does not have a letter ie it is hidden.
    Since you most likely purchased this system [you did not build it and install the operating system] Have you contacted the seller to see what they say regarding your issue?

12. Spriite54

Spriite54 Thread Starter

I’ve had this pc for about 8 months. This just started happening yesterday. And no I have not contacted CyberPower PC

13. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
    This is a known error caused by the latest update. It adds a drive letter to the WinRE partition. To fix perform the following:

Type command to start searching the menu
    Right click on Command Prompt from menu
    Select to Run As Administrator
    Once in Command Prompt Windows then type of copy and paste each of the commands followed by Enter.

Note: (The 'Volume and Disk Letter may be different on your system so make sure to select the correct ones. If any questions provide a screen shot after list volume)

diskpart
    list volume
    select volume 1
    remove letter=E

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice