E Drive being used up.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spriite54

Hi, I'm not great with computers and my E drive is being used up. It is being used up by winre.wim. Is there a way to remove or reduce the size of this file?
Thank you.

crjdriver

That is your recovery file/partition and windows is supposed to manage the size of the partition ie it grows as you do updates, patches, etc.
Post a screenshot of disk management. To post a screenshot;
1 Start>run and type in "diskmgmt.msc" without quotes and hit enter
2 Once disk mgt loads, hit the PrtScreem key on your keyboard
3 Open whatever file viewer you use ie paint, irfanview, whatever. Click edit>paste
4 Save the file as a jpeg type file and upload it here using the upload a file button

Done.

crjdriver

Your E partition is only 450meg ie about half a gig. If you are running out of space; you need a bigger drive. Even if you deleted the E partition and expanded C, it is not going to get you much space.

crjdriver

Do understand that IF you move the recovery file, you are most likely NOT going to be able to restore/recover your windows install.

Spriite54

Well, I'm really not sure how to fix this issue. I could purchase a larger drive but I still wouldn't know what to do after. Plus the notifications are extremely annoying telling me it's almost full.

crjdriver

If this were me, here is what I would do;
1 Purchase another drive for backup purposes. Install the drive and partition/format
2 Delete your current E drive
3 Make an image backup of your system drive and store the image on your new drive. You can also make backups of any important files ie docs, pics, whatever

I use and recommend acronis true image for all imaging, cloning, etc. It is not free however [IMO] you get what you pay for [at least in this instance] There are free imaging programs OR you can use linux clonezilla to image the drive [also free however NOT the easiest thing to use]

By doing the above, you get rid of your problem of the E drive AND you still have the ability to restore your system.

crjdriver

It is strange that your recovery partition even has a drive letter. When I do an install in eufi mode [which is how your windows was installed] The recovery partition does not have a letter ie it is hidden.
Since you most likely purchased this system [you did not build it and install the operating system] Have you contacted the seller to see what they say regarding your issue?

Spriite54

I’ve had this pc for about 8 months. This just started happening yesterday. And no I have not contacted CyberPower PC

dmccoy

Darrin
This is a known error caused by the latest update. It adds a drive letter to the WinRE partition. To fix perform the following:

Type command to start searching the menu
Right click on Command Prompt from menu
Select to Run As Administrator
Once in Command Prompt Windows then type of copy and paste each of the commands followed by Enter.

Note: (The 'Volume and Disk Letter may be different on your system so make sure to select the correct ones. If any questions provide a screen shot after list volume)

diskpart
list volume
select volume 1
remove letter=E

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online