1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e-drive missing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dave3, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

My edrive has gone awol.
    I have windows 7 and was attempting to install Norton internet security when it dissapeared. I got to the point where Norton required me to install the product key which i did the pc then said it would shut down and restarted which it did less the e-drive. I have been through the HP support on the pc and am advised that filter 39 is affecting the system however i cant correct this for some reason and regain i hope my e-drive.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

What was the "E:" drive? An optical drive? Partition? What makes you think it's missing? What version of Norton Internet Security did you install? The new versions do not require a restart.

3. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

Thanks your reply.
    E-drive is optical.
    Norton internet security version 2012 and as i had AVG already loaded it wanted to remove same befor installation and to reboot?
    E- drive missing because when i open my computer there is only the C and D drives showing.
    I have gone through the HP help and am finaly told i have an error 39 ? and should remove the upper and lower filters and reboot which i have done without any sucess.

4. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

I would have to guess (and I do mean guess) that the problem is related to an incomplete uninstallation of AVG. Guessing once again, I would try first removing Norton, then running AVG's appropriate removal tool, then reinstalling Norton after a reboot.

5. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

Many thanks your suggestion. Done as advised but still no E-drive. Rebooted then run Norton disc which run's in the drive for 10 seconds (green light flashing) then nothing. "my computer" still showing only drives c & d but no e. Cant understand why the HELP in the pc cant get me out of trouble it says remove the upper and lower filters and reboot which i have done but to no avail.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

1. Click on "Start" button, the click on "Run".

2. Enter "regedit.exe" and press "Enter".

3. When regedit starts, open up the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/system/currentcontrolset/control/class/
    {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.

4. After clicking on {4d36e965-e325 -11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} you should see two settings on the right-hand side:
    "upperfilters"
    "lowerfilters"
    Click on each of them, press "Delete" key and click "Yes".

Or you can download this reg file to do the same thing.

Use CDGone Variant if the other didn't work or you once had Roxio, but use the other one first.

7. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

Thanks Elvandil for your interest in my problem.
    Have done as advised however cant get beyond stage 3, get message from windows saying it does not recognise HKEY_LOCAL ...................Etc etc.
    Have tried it twice incase of typo error even with space after e325 and without space with no luck.
    Any further ideas?

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    In step 2 type REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter, the Regedit program will open, now in Step 3 you don't type the HKEY... text you navigate to it, like finding a folder in My Computer.

9. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

Have tried as you suggested and get as far as REGISTRY EDITOR which gives me following msg "cant import exe: error opening the file there maybe a disc or file system error" any further suggestions would be most welcome.

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

That's the exact error message you get when you type "regedit.exe" (without the quotes) in the Run box?

11. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

It is regedit, NOT regedit.exe

EDIT: Just putted in regedit.exe and it showed... Are you using the Run from XP?

12. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

using run from Windows 7 home premium.

13. jakey8

jakey8 Banned

Try regedit without .exe

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Both work on Windows 7. Something else is amiss here, and I think it's a huge mistake to continue to try to edit the registry if it takes 10+ posts just to get the editor launched. If you delete or modify the wrong key in the registry, you'll cripple your computer.

15. dave3

dave3 Thread Starter

Many thanks to all you helpers. problem now resolved. Was caused by attempted installation of Norton 2001 intnet secutity. It added and extra upper filter to the system so when i carried out the HP help intructions i.e. "click here to delet upper and lower filters then reboot" it didnt work, i am its told because the extra fillter didnt delet.
    p.s. the young lad that fixed it (neighbour) took 30 seconds to do the job, local shop quoted "yea mate unplug bring it in collect next week £50"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice