E-Drum Driver Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CEloff33

Hey there. I have an Alesis DM6 electronic drum set. When I plug it into my computer with the USB chord I'm unable to use it because it tells me there's a driver error. It's driver error #10. My drivers along with all my other software on my laptop are up to date, I've tried various USB ports, for the life of me I can't figure this out. I don't know if anyone here has any ideas but I thought I would take a shot.
The company that makes the drums has assured me that no driver needs to be installed, I should be able to simply plug it in and use it.
It works on my desktop PC, but I need it to work on my laptop as well(MSI Bravo 17)
Thanks in advance

Couriant

James
There may be a conflict with another USB device. I assume both Windows are using the same version?

Try removing all USB devices sans keyboard/mouse (if USB) and then uninstall the device in Device Manager and reboot and see if you can get it to work. If not then try:

uninstall every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers hardware category in Device Manager as part of the driver reinstall. This includes any USB Mass Storage Device, USB Host Controller, and USB Root Hub. Then reboot and see if it will connect.

plodr

Liz
My first thought and I could be wrong is the USB in a laptop simply doesn't supply the amount of power that the unit needs.

I was looking through the FAQs on the site to see if a desktop rather than a laptop is needed as a connection. I didn't find anything but a chart that showed Windows 10 was supported but the last update to that was 6 years ago.

CEloff33

Thanks for the replies!

- Removed all USB devices and uninstalled the device.
- Uninstalled every device.
- Did the above with reboots.
- Did a clean install of the same windows running on the other machine, added nothing other than the kit.
- Did all the above again after updating the firmware of the kit with the latest update.
- No cigar...

Tried a bunch of other fixes as well.

The only thing I can think of still as that the laptop USB ports simply doesn't have enough power for the kit, as mentioned above. Could this be?

Seems crazy thought, considering it's a high end laptop. Any further advice is greatly appreciated!

plodr

Liz
You could buy this
https://www.amazon.com/HIGHROCK-Enhancer-Female-Charge-Extension/dp/B00NIGO4NM
I use one of these to use a DVD burner with a laptop computer because 1 port doesn't have enough power.

Or buy a powered USB hub. (I only buy USB hubs that have a plug for an external outlet). Try the E-Drum kit in one of the ports of the powered hub.
If it does work in a powered hub, then you've discovered that a single USB port in a laptop doesn't have the power the drum kit requires.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online