1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E:/ Hard drive not recognized after unplugging it.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by morganjoshual, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. morganjoshual

morganjoshual Thread Starter

I'm using Windows 7

Last night I was installing a new video card in my computer. The power supply was unplugged and I unplugged my E:/ drive so the I could have more room to move the video card around. When I booted my computer up it went to a black check disk screen which read similar to:

Checking file system on E:
    The type of the file system is NTFS
    Volume Label is New Volume.
    One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You may cancel... etc

Chkdsk is verifying files stage 1 of 3

Then it listed each file and said the file is unreadable. such as 1 of 180000 is unreadable etc etc for each up to 184000 or w/e the number was.

After this I ran cmd and did chkdsk /r e:
    Doing this was incredibly slow. I left the PC on overnight and when I woke up it was at stage 2/5, 10% completed and then stopped. Sorry I didn't screen shot the process but several times it said it was repairing corrupted files and at the end it said 'null' and then went back to the command prompt and nothing seemed to change.

Currently when I boot up my computer the E drive is sometimes visible and sometimes not under My Computer. It says 0 of 0 data stored and when clicking on the drive it says

E:/ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

Previously Under Disk Management the Drive said that it had 0/0 GB storage but now it is showing the correct amount 0/932 GB. Well not entirely correct because I have about 30-50 gigs of games, pictures and videos on the drive!
    Under disk management it also says the files system is RAW, but I believe it is supposed to be NTFS?

I've tried quite a few approaches and I am by no means an expert at this or even any good at it at all really. It is very possible that I have made the situation even worse and corrupted the files.

My plan now was to format the drive and then try and recover the lost files via a 3rd party software application. When I tried to format the drive originally it said that the capacity was 516 bytes. I restarted my computer a few times and now it is showing the correct capacity of 932 GB.

When I tried to access the E: drive from the disk management screen I get an error that says
    E:/ is not accessible.
    The parameter is incorrect.

I'm at a loss for what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can also provide more information if necessary.

2. morganjoshual

I just tried to format the drive and I got this error message:

Windows can't format E

Check to see that the disk and drive are connected properly, make sure that the disk is not read-only, and then try again. For more information, search Help for read-only files and how to change them.

Right after this happened I checked My Computer and the E: drive is no longer visible again.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. Not that it makes a lot of difference NOW but you do not format a drive in an attempt to recover files
    The format makes the recovery LESS likely
    2. Accordingly what do you NOW wish to do - attempt to recover data or format it and start again

3. How is the drive connected direct to motherboard SATA port or IDE - or some manner of adapter

4. What is the make of the drive

4. morganjoshual

1. Yea probably not a great idea, the drive formatting seemed like it wasn't even starting. There appeared to be no progress at all it just sat there until I received the error message and then the drive wasn't visible in My Computer
    2. Ideal situation would be to recover my traveling photos and have the drive working again.
    3. SATA
    4. WDC WD800JD - 75MSA3 ATA Device

5. morganjoshual

This is also my secondary storage drive. My C:/ drive has all my windows files.

6. Macboatmaster

3. SATA

Did you disconnect both power and data from sata port
    Is power SATA to SATA from PSU or SATA to molex adapter

also re this
    4. WDC WD800JD - 75MSA3 ATA Device

I thought you said it was 1TB I do not think that model is 1TB but I will stand corrected

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  7. Macboatmaster

If you do not refresh or exit and come back in you will NOT see my post

8. morganjoshual

Sorry, I don't entirely understand what you mean.

I believe I only disconnected the SATA from the E:/

E:/ is directly connected to the motherboard with a SATA cable and the same power cord is connecting the C:/ and E:/ to the PSU. The E:/ is connected with an extension from the power cable connecting to the C:/

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  9. morganjoshual

Yea it's 1T shows about 932G. I got the model number when I was reinstalling the drivers. Sorry forgot to mention I tried reinstalling the drivers for it

10. Macboatmaster

Shut down the computer
    Disconnect the power cord
    Open the case
    disconnect the sata lead from the drive - that runs to the motherboard port - the data cable
    disconnect the power cord from the drive

It is very easy indeed especially if working in a confined space to connect the SATA leads incorrectly - look for the locating key on the drive and ensure you have the connection correct
    one end of the connection, as you may know has a ¬ shape to it
    If the connection has a clip of course ensure you have clipped it

Reconnect data and power it does not matter which order

Reboot the computer and see if the drive is recognised

11. morganjoshual

Alright I'll give it a try and report back

12. Macboatmaster

13. morganjoshual

Ok I followed the steps. The drive is visible in My Computer but I can't view any files or folders in the drive. When I click on it I'm prompted to format the drive and when I hit cancel it reads:

E:/ is not accessible.

The volume does not contain a recognized file system.
    Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.

14. morganjoshual

I'm assuming it means because the file system is listed as RAW in the Disk Management?

15. Macboatmaster

So have you tried Recuva to see if you can recover your data
    If you have and it is not possible then unless it is really important I recommend , you proceed as here
    The file system is RAW in so far as windows is concerned but most likely because the actual partition table is damaged rather than the actual images on the drive

If you DO wish to continue to try and recover there are other ways

If not do this
    http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=940

and test the drive as shown
    if it is OK and it passes the test

Then proceed to this
    http://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=1211#windlg

using

The QUICK ERASE option

then reboot and go to disk management and format it there - it should then allow you to do so

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1180821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice