1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E:\is not accessible. Incorrect function.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coralreef, Mar 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coralreef

coralreef Thread Starter

I have Win XP Pro w/ Service Pack 2 installed (Service Pack 2 is from Microsoft Update-my original XP Pro came with SP1 which I have the cd) and a cd-rom drive, cd r/rw drive and floppy drive. For the past 3 weeks whenever I try to access any of those 3 drives, I get the "E:\is not accessible. Incorrect function" message. It can be E(CD-RW), D(CD-ROM) or A(floppy) drive. The only way I can access any of these drives is to put the CD Rom or Floppy in the drive and then re-boot my computer. This message comes up whether it is a cd that I burned, an audio cd from the store or the actual software cd.

I followed a "Tech Support Guy" member's instructions to restore possible over-written files by doing "sfc/scannow" command with my original XP Pro cd-rom (with Service Pack 1) and about 10 different times during the scan, the message reads, "Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows XP CD-rom now". Nothing happens except I keep getting the same message. I put the XP CD-Rom in the drive, reboot and then do the scan. After the scan, I can read the XP CD-Rom, but I'm not sure what I need to do next.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. otoe1

otoe1

See if you can obtain the brand and model number of the motherboard and install the drivers for that board.

Sounds like the IDE controllers may have become corrupted OR the partition table of the harddrive may have become corrupted as well.

Try to obtain the motherboard drivers first. You can download them to your desktop in a new folder and run the drivers from there.

Good luck.

3. coralreef

coralreef Thread Starter

otoe1,

Thanks for your quick reply. How can I obtain the model and number of my motherboard if I don't have that info on paper? Can I take the cover off the tower to look for the numbers? I have a "Barebone 1.4 Gig AMD Athlon".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!