1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e mac and DV camcorder

Discussion in 'Apple Mac' started by vnichol, Jan 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vnichol

vnichol Thread Starter

I just bought a e mac, it doesn't burn DVD, but it has a firewire port. Does this mean that I should be able to connect a digital camcorder to the computer and it will download the clips? The camcorder does work on another e mac at the school I work at, so I am not positive that my e mac is set up to import video. Is there a way that I can check?

Thank you for your time.

2. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

yes plug it in and import a clip to iMovie. You can buy an external DVD burner and make your own dvds as well. You will have no problems. It works almost by it's self.

3. VegasACF

VegasACF

Unless there have been changes of which I'm not apprised, iDVD will not work with external (FireWire) DVD burners. That's not to say there won't be third-party applications that will, but iMovie and iDVD work hand-in-hand (you can export directly from iMovie to iDVD), so it might not be quite as simple as if you had an OEM DVD burner.

4. vnichol

vnichol Thread Starter

I have tried to connect the camcorder to the computer, and it says that there is no device connected, or nothing comes up at all. (this is why I think that it might be a possibility that this e mac does not support import of video?) I know the camera does work and like I have said before it does work at school, just not on my mac. Any suggestions?

Again thanks

5. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

emacs work with digital cameras and iDVD works with external burners. In the old days no but now a days they work. They make patches for the old macs so you can use external burners. Connect the camera to the computer turn it on. Open about this mac in the apple menu. Select more info. navigate to the firewire and see if it recognizes it. If it is not there then the eMac does not recognize that camera. So Vegas you are behind the times they changed that like two iLifes ago.

6. vnichol

vnichol Thread Starter

It does show up under the firewire heading, but when you go to capture the video, it doesn't show up in the program. I can't even go to import and see the camera, I might have to reinstall mac osx?

7. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

no you don't have to reinstall Tiger. Use Apple support, you just bought it. You get free support for 1 year.

8. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

Who makes this camera?

9. vnichol

vnichol Thread Starter

10. VegasACF

VegasACF

I stand... I mean SIT corrected. Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

I purchased iLife after the announcement of the '05 version on the assurance of the Apple support individual (somewhere in India, judging by accent) that I would be allowed to upgrade for free from the version in the store to the '05 version.

Apple did not honor this assurance, and, of course, I have no idea what the guy's name was (and if I did, even how to spell it). And, of course, because it was opened software (my mistake) the store at which I purchased it would not refund it or exchange it for the new version.

So I've happily been using the old version that will not work without an OEM DVD-R.

This is the lone example in my 20+ years of Mac use (and Apple II use before that) of being dissatisfied with the service I received. And I'm not going to hold it against them. The old version does what I need it to do.

:shrug:

11. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

I don't understand. You said it worked on another eMac. Yours does recognize it. It won't capture though. The only thing I can think of telling you is to reinstall iLife and update it again. If that does not work. Contact an Apple Support Tech and have them troubleshoot it with you. There is not any reason it shouldn't be capturuing off of that camera.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437384

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice