1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e machine error message - help!`

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by horseymom, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. horseymom

horseymom Thread Starter

Hi - I have an emachine and when I turn it on the emachine logo appears the computer beeps and then there is a black screen. I have tried to get it into SAFE Mode and the screen comes up with Safe Mode and other options but when I try to choose one of the options it will not respond. After I leave the computer for a while a message comes up that says:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
    <windows root>\system 32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    Please re-install a copy of the above file

I do not know what this file is or what I need to do. I have emachine Retore Cd Version 1.d W4885 and there are three disks but I don't want to lose everything on my hard drive and I cannot back up my files if I can't get my computer to boot up - what do I do? Is there any way to fix this? Please help!:confused:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

3. Tabvla

Tabvla

Hi horseymom, welcome to the TSG Forums :D

The most important thing to do - before you try to fix your computer - is to ensure that you have a copy of your personal data files.

To do this you will need the following equipment

1. Another computer where there is sufficient disk space to copy all your personal data files
    2. A SATA to USB patch cable. This cable is not expensive and can be purchased at your local computer shop or online at Amazon.

You will then need to do the following: -

1. Remove the hard disk from your computer. This is usually a simple task in most computers.
    2. Connect the SATA side of the patch cable to your hard disk and the USB side to the other computer
    3. Using Windows Explorer COPY your personal files over to the other computer.

I strongly recommend that you use COPY and NOT Backup. COPY is a much easier procedure. It takes more disk space and is slower but is very simple to implement.

When you have done this get back to the Forum and I or someone else will guide you further.

T.

4. horseymom

horseymom Thread Starter

Hi! I thank you for your response - but I am quite computer illiterate - I don't understand what you are telling me to do. How would I boot up anything when the computer won't respond?? I'm sorry I don't know more about this or I would prob understand what you are telling me - sounds like you know a lot.

5. horseymom

horseymom Thread Starter

Hi! Thanks so much for your reply. I think what you are explaining is what someone was telling my husband we could do to retrieve the info from the hard drive on that computer. I will try and get the cable and then see if I can figure out what to do from there to copy the info to the computer I am on right now - I don't want to lose my info/docs/pics and eveything on the other hard drive!!! Thanks again!

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

At the risk of being a real royal pain in the rear end...... let me say this again.

DON'T try to fix your computer before you have ensured that you have a good copy of your personal data files. Once you are sure that your personal data files are safe then we can proceed to getting your computer to work again.

And that is also why I strongly recommend COPY and NOT a Backup. With COPY you can physically check the status of your files on the other computer. With Backup you cannot.

T.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!