1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e-machine loads really slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by daniels012, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. daniels012

daniels012 Thread Starter

We have recently bought 2 e-machines probably within 5 months of each other. One opens normally within 1 to 2 minutes. The other takes about 8 minutes to show up on the screen. Everything works fine!
    No issues once everything is up and going, it just takes forever? Any ideas of what i could do or try to resolve this. I have done a msconfig and cleared all that I thought I did not need. I checked services to see what was running but I have no clue as to what some of these are:confused:

Both systems use Windows XP home edition.

Thank You,
    Michael

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Give us some details of the systems . . Model . . RAM . . AntiVirus . . AntiSpyware?

3. daniels012

simpswr,
    Thank you for responding!!

Model Number = T5212
    1 gb of RAM
    AVG is the AntiVirus software
    We run Ad-Aware.

Let me know if you need more!
    Michael

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

This is not a very elegant method, but will help identify what is causing the delay in booting.

In msconfig, disable all of the applications in Startup and all in Services ( Hide Microsoft Services first ) . . then reboot to see what boot time is. If it's better, go back and enable half of the services ( hide M/S services ) and reboot . . if slow again, dis able half and thry it . . if faster enable half of the rest . .do the same with Startup items . . keep going with halves untill the problem is identified.

5. daniels012

After doing some digging around I found a website called Registrypatriot.com that says it can clean the registry and speed up your system as well. Is this an avenue for me to take or should I stay away from it?

by the way thank you for your response as well!
    I will try your suggestion.
    Michael

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Stay away from it . . Programs that say they will fix your registry Registry work very much like when a Vet "fixes" a puppy . . .

7. daniels012

Thank You Rich

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Registry does not slow down or speed up computer or bootup, but settings in the bios could. Go into bios and make sure that all evidence of quick boots are enabled and that things like "floppy check" for drives not even present are not there because that can slow down the boot.

9. daniels012

How do I hide Microsoft services? First?

10. daniels012

never mind I did it on the services page. You want me to disable everything out of startup?? and services???

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Leave services alone or you will hose the system....as for startup I would remove everything but antivirus, antispyware and 3rd party firewall if you use one.

12. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yep . . just be sure to disconnect from the internet since your anti-virus will be temporarily disabled. . Once you hide the Microsoft services, disable the rest to test the startup time

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!