1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E Machine Recovery Disks Wont Boot Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Roadie, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roadie

Roadie Thread Starter

E Machines Recovery Discs Wont Boot Computer

A Couple of weeks ago a friends new computer crashed (he's owned it for about 10 months) because of a possible virus infection. His system is an E Machines EL 1200 running Windows XP Home Basic. Yes, the new system shipped with XP installed. The system did not come with any restore CD's, and since he is a novice computer user he did not make any backups of any kind. See post: http://forums.techguy.org/general-security/899610-virus-warning-now-computer-wont.html

After the crash I tried booting it to safe mode and restoring from the last good configuration using system restore, which had no effect. So we ordered the recovery CD's which arrived by mail today. There are three recovery discs. I ran all three discs in what I believe was the correct order. The three discs are labeled: "Disc 1 of 1 System Disc" / "Disc 1 of 2 Recovery Disc" / "Disc 2 of 2 Recovery Disc". The instruction sheet that shipped with the discs said to start with the disc labelled "System". The remainder of the instructions was just general information and the statement "at the end of the restore you will be prompted to remove all disks from the drive and the system will reboot".

I inserted the "1 of 1 System Disc", which ran for a few seconds and only asked: "Choose a language", then I chose English and clicked OK, The disc was automatically ejected, and I received the message: "Insert Recovery Disk or Backup", so next I inserted the disc labelled "Disc 1 of 2 Recovery Disk". This ran for about 10 minutes displaying a bar graph showing install progress, then the message: "Insert Disk 2" was displayed. I Inserted "Disk 2 of 2 Recovery Disk" which ran for a few minutes which continued the advance of the install progress bar graph. Then I received the message: "Insert Disc 1 labelled "System". I went back and inserted the "Disc 1 of 1 System" disc again and clicked the OK button in the dialog window. The CD Drive did not sound like it spinned up to transfer data, it was quiet, and after only a few seconds the CD was automatically ejected and I received the message: "Restore complete, reboot your computer". I assumed I was supposed to remove the 1 of 1 System Disc since it was ejected automatically. I removed the Disc, closed the drive door, and clicked the restart button in the dialog window.

After booting through the E machine screen and the Windows XP screen the following message was displayed: "An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem please contact your computer manufacturer. Windows must now shut down, press OK to view the log file". I clicked OK and this was displayed: "Setup encountered an error while trying to upgrade the Internet Explorer. Fatal Error. Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated. To address this problem please contact your computer manufacturer. Windows must now shut down. I clicked OK and the computer shut down.

Since I never heard the CD Drive spin up at any time when the "1 of 1 System Disc" was in the drive, I thought I would try leaving the System Disc in the drive at the message "Restore complete, reboot your system". So I went through the whole procedure a second time: after "Disc 2 of 2 Restore Disc" finished, I was prompted once again to insert "Disc 1 of 1 System Disc", I clicked OK, but once again I did not hear the drive spin up and after a few seconds the System CD was automatically ejected as before and once again the display read "restore complete, reboot your system". Insted of removing the system disc this time I re inserted it into the drive hoping that when the system rebooted it would find the files it needed on the CD. I clicked OK to reboot the system. No luck. Same result. The system did not access the CD drive with the system Disc in it at the reboot, and I received the same error message at the completion of the reboot: "Windows is unable to start because the registry could not be updated". Then I clicked the OK button which shut down the computer. I restarted into safe mode (F8) and received the message: "System installation is not complete, run setup again". Rebooting into the F10 menu (drive selection) and selecting the CD Drive just starts the whole installation all over again.

Any ideas on what the problem is? If it was a bad hard drive then it wouldn't have copied the files from the two restore CD's, would it? Where do I go from here? Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

2. huggie54

huggie54

was there any instruction setting the cd rom as 1st boot order in bios,tyr that mate

3. Roadie

Roadie Thread Starter

Thanks, huggie. No, there was no specific instructions on the instruction sheet, just insert the CD's in the order requested, remove, and reboot. I'll try resetting the boot order in the bios as you suggested and see if that helps. That's worth a try. Another friend seems to think I need the Windows CD at the reboot prompt. I don't have the Windows CD, I thought that's what I was getting when I ordered the restore CD's.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks for your help.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/903641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice