1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E Machine XP install Prob

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by HPgeek, Apr 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HPgeek

HPgeek Thread Starter

To start I am a rookie, hense my mess! I was trying to help a friend fix a problem (the PC would say something like "Windows was improperly shut down... 1) Restore to last known good restore point 2) Start Windows normally and 30 I dont recall. ) any of these selections took you to a black screen that wouldnt let you do anything. So, on the advice of a "friend" I ran "Wipe Disk" and cleared the HD. Now I was told to just insert the XP disk and fire it up and re enstall it. It wont work. I went to the Bios and the CD rom is the 1st boot priority but still no luck. I even tried Dos prompt and typed "setup" and says something about it not being Dos executable. What do I need to do? I am now trying to help friend via phone and it is even more confusing. How do I get XP back on this "E-Machine"?

HPgeek

2. angel

angel

When you say "it won't work", does it even try to boot from the cd?

3. HPgeek

HPgeek Thread Starter

It comes up with a black screen with a flashing underline cursor. The only way I can do anything is by leaving the "WipeDisk" floppy in. But then it bypasses the CDrom and pulls the floppy up. I dont get this either as in the BIOS it has CDrom 1st

4. HPgeek

HPgeek Thread Starter

if I leave it in I am informed c: is not formated something about Fat32. I think a walk through of the "right" way to install would help. Doing this by phone doesnt help much either, LOL

5. angel

angel

And we are sure that the cd-rom drive is functional? Is it detected properly? By chance have another bootable cd to try?

6. HPgeek

HPgeek Thread Starter

Before I wiped it I could pull a "dir" from dos. Now unless I have the wipedisk floppy in I cant even get the c: or the d: to show in dos. Im at a loss

7. MrBillPro

MrBillPro

Or they using a store bought XP Disk or By chance being an emachine does the person have the restore disk that came with the PC? I know most emachines come with restore disks going way back. Not that this is the immediate issue.

8. HPgeek

HPgeek Thread Starter

I believe it to be store bought because they mentioned the loss of the original

9. HPgeek

HPgeek Thread Starter

Guess I got run over by all the others who need help. I still am clueless so if anything comes to mind....

HPgeek

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice