1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e-machines any good?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by tomlunt, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

Has anyone here ever used a computer from e-machines? i am thinking about a second home computer, for the kids. Not really into gaming - mostly instant messaging, word processing, surfing the net, so i really don't need much power, but i don't want to outgow it in a year.

I saw an add for a e-machines computer at Best Buy. the price wasn't too bad, but i wasn't too sure about the company.

I can troubleshoot pretty well and add the necessary network card and additional RAM easily enough, so i wont be needing support from Best Buy thankfully.

I'd love to get another Dell, but i'm trying not to spend too much right now.

Thanks.

Tom

2. brianF

brianF

3. tomlunt

tomlunt Thread Starter

Brian -

thanks for the link ... i did a search before i posted but i missed that thread.

Tom

4. deuce

deuce

Yeah... that's what we're here for. :D (if you needewd it that is) I personally aren't too found of e-machines, but that is just me and there really isn't any big problems with them, so it's actually just an opinion I guess. Not the highest quality, but not poor quality either. Bad enough quality to shave of $$, but still good enough to be quite reliable and decent.

5. hewee

hewee

Keep in mind that you can't really upgrade much on them.

My brother has one and has not had any trouble that I know of with it.

6. vlrbsf

vlrbsf

I have had an eMachines 733i for almost a year and I have had no problems with it. Only problem I have is that I don't know how to use the Quick keys at the top of the keyboard. I have increased my memory from 64 to 128, have added an external CD -RW, added a MS Trackball, and everything works fine. I think it's a good deal for the money-but I am a novice computer user.

7. captainbaldo

captainbaldo

I give eMachines a So-So rating. If you know how to maintain your computer properly, they're aren't a bad deal, especially if you're just going to use it for what you said you were. These are definitely not "power computers." My In-laws have had one for two years and I have already gotten them a new mouse, monitor, and modem (I guess only "M" things go bad with them), but I chaulk up alot of that due to user-error...they have three computer illiterate teen-agers that mess around with it all the time. I wouldn't count on them giving you any support, though...but that's what TSG Forums is for! Just DO NOT lose the restoration disk that comes with the system because its near impossible to find a replacement.

8. edwood

edwood

I had nothing but trouble with emachines. I went through
    4 computers within 8 months. Their tech support really blows.

Each time a computer died on me,( one was the motherboard, one the hard drive; I even had one arrive fresh from the factory with a bad power supply and a bad modem) I was told to ship it back. They would not ship out a new hard drive or power supply. Their policy is to replace not repair.

If you're going to get an emachine get an extended service plan thru the vendor if they offer it.

I understand that these are very affordable computers, but as always, you get what you pay for.

ps-I had my misadventures w/ emachines 2 years ago...perhaps they've improved.

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

From our last discussion 8 months ago about E-machines the kids unit has had another 64MB of RAM added $19.95 From Crucial and an internal CDRW. My 15 year old has put it through the ringer several times with her downloading all types of odd programs including tons of Spyware. After removals of unathorized programs that no one downloaded, except the ghost that runs around this house, and many, many, don't know what happened hard restarts, BSOD, and scandisks caused by those programs, the machine is still running very well.
    Would buy another if I had a need for it in that capacity.

Dave

10. edwood

edwood

I don't mean to say that every computer they put out is junk, because I know a few people, like you, who's never had a problem.
    Yet my experience with their customer and technical support staff was almost comical.
    At the least, it serves as a cautionary tale.

11. captainbaldo

captainbaldo

I forgot to mention as earlier that my sister-in-law has an emachine as well and it's monitor went out (JUST the monitor) and they made her send in the whole system. My suggestion would be to backup your data often on one of these systems, incase something goes wrong, since as edwood stated earlier, they replace, not repair. But of course, these systems do seem to be a good deal if you aren't trying to take over the world with them.

12. rhettman5

rhettman5

Just saw a E-Machine at Office Depot 1.2GHZ Celeron..Windows XP...256megs of ram...16x cd burner.....20 gig HD....Computer...$499....Computer with 17" Phillips Monitor...$649 Hard to beat....Rhett

13. hamster

hamster Guest

There are lots of deal sites out there that offer good prices for good spec computers with brand names. You just have to search for them... in combination with coupons, free shipping you'll get a very good deal.....

since yesterdays computers is outdated by now, there is always a deal! I check out the "deal" sites daily to see when they have good bargains at retailers.. I already have couple of printers ($10.00) scanners (10.00) yeah just for $10.00 (some even free!) after rebates and coupons.. and other items too!! dvd for $60.00, 19in Brand Name monitor for $139.00....

them rebates and coupons are great!!!! staples and office max are always handling out $50 off coupons off a certain amount.

So I won't go for a Emachine.. yuck... I mean it might do the work but would you drive a Yugo? nay... there are good bargains out there......

14. jakoval

jakoval

Don't have any experience with e-machines myself, but just came across this unofficial e-machines support site:

http://e4all.freeservers.com/

If you're an e-machine owner you may want to have a look.

15. vlrbsf

vlrbsf

Thank you Jakoval!!:D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66716

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice