1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-machines shut down problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Marty643, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marty643

Marty643 Thread Starter

I have an e-machines M6809 computer and it shuts down unexpectedly from time to time. IT is about 3 years old. Last year I put new thermal compound between the AMD Athlon 64 processor and the heat sink and it seemed to help for a time. (Maybe it was my imagination) Now it shuts down more frequently but I haven't re-applied new thermal compound. I'm not sure if that was the problem. Does anybody have information and a solution to this problem. I think it happens more frequently when the computer is on battery power, but it's hard to tell because it happens even when plugged in.

2. MichaelDee

MichaelDee

What do you mean "more thermal compound"? If you add "more", meaning that you are building it up so that it is thick, then your cpu will overheat quickly. A good quality thermal past won't degrade over time and will last many years. You only need a very thin layer in order for it to work effectively. Did you clean out all of the dust from the pc? You may have an OS problem which you can check error logs for.

3. Marty643

Marty643 Thread Starter

To answer your question, yes, I did clean up the old themal compound and put a thin layer of new compound on. And yes, I did clean up the dust, which wasn't much.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644967

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice