1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-machines?Sony?Compact?which is better?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by vanillag1rl, Feb 11, 2005.

?

who do you prefure;with performance, stability,and support in mind

1. E-machines

11.4%
  2. Hp

9.1%
  3. Dell

34.1%
  4. Gateway

4.5%
  5. Sony

15.9%
  6. Alienware

13.6%
  7. compaq

11.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl Thread Starter

alright who do you like?
    *prefer

2. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

3. Techmonkeys

Techmonkeys

As Skivvywaver says I would prefer to build my own, however at work I use a Compaq Evo Desktop and I must say I really do give it some stick, it only has 512MB of RAM and I am constantly farting around with it and runnin g up to 100 processes at any one time and it really does handle it all very well.

One thing I would say about your poll options is stay away from E-Machine, the last guy who was in charge of IT here bought a load of E-Machines and we have had to get rid of every single one, one by one they all died crashed, fired or some other misfortune, which is because they are made from 2nd hand or reconditioned parts, hence why they are so cheap.

4. poochee

poochee

Curious, is that legal?? I had an Emachine for three years and had no problem. Maybe because I keep my computer to the bare bones. No high powered programs or games. I now have an HP Pavilion, and really like it. I bought it for the speed, because I don't want DSL. I reach the internet in 44 seconds and I can surf pretty fast. Good enough for me, I am in no hurry!

5. past tense

past tense

if your IT guy bought a bunch of reconditioned computers thats his gamble.I think any reconditioned brand is a risk.
    I have an E-machine,1 and a half years and no trouble.
    I think some of the reasons E-Machines are cheap are
    no free phone tech support and marginal email support.
    no windows xp discs,only restore discs.
    lousy and out of date software.(bloatware)
    low end sound and video cards.
    don't say all Emachines are reconditioned,thats not so.

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I can't speak for E Machines, but Gateway now owns E Machines. I have not had luck with my Gateway. From HD failure to cd drives to vid card to 'on' button.....failure with common complaints by other owners.

I have bought several used Dell business computers that seem very durable.
    I would rather build my next computer, but if I had to buy a branded one, it would be a Dell.

7. jgjulio

jgjulio

I have had emachines,dell,HP,Powerspec,and PC club at my business. Most machines do OK. Some have problems others do not. However the most stable machines we have had and still have are the emachines.
    The other nice thing I like about them is if they have a problem, the parts are standard, easily available and they fit. No proprietary parts, cases etc.

8. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

My 2 cents
    In the latest pc magazine in rating all computers, emachines won over i think 18 for desktops. It was green for all (including quality/support).
    Oh, and they don't cost much.
    My friend has a emachines its reeally good and it was cheap.
    One thing. DO NOT BUY HP! hp's are bad bad things i have one, after extensive modding and work it does what i want. support is really bad too.
    Too bad for gateways. A long time ago (about 5 years) they had the best support. Web chat they'd connect to ur computer and fix it for u.
    We bought a computer from them for about $2k in 1997 and it still works great. really nice computer.
    Oh, alienware, by any means get them if you have the money, go talk around because they will customize it for you the alienwares are awesome.
    My 2 cents.
    ps, don't go compaq they are just ad bad as HP considering it is the same ppl these days and my friend across the street has one, its like my computer (sadly) cept with the compaq logo and it always breaks.

9. brite750

brite750

wow, thats a whole bunch of reasons not to buy one, are you sure your in favor of them????

10. brite750

brite750

I guess out of that list i would have to go with Dell, only because I have had to live with them at work, its an expensive one though $2900 workstation. If it was my money no friggin way would i buy it.

11. hewee

hewee

Now I think it would be better to buy a workstation then make your own.

Seems they do a lot more testing on workstations.To meet the needs of demanding workstation users, Dell Precision Workstations are designed with high-performance hardware components. Dell also demands that key workstation software vendors rigorously test and certify all components of their application on Dell Precision, so that customers can be assured the maximum level of performance, functionality, and reliability of their solution. With dedicated development and testing resources, Dell's stringent workstation certification requirements are designed to deliver one benefit above all others: peace of mind.

Dell Precision Workstations are designed to maximize productive work output with mission-specific ISV-certified workstation applications. To find the right Dell Precision workstation for your needs, click the link corresponding to the appropriate ISV-certified workstation software title or software vendor. If the application you are using is not listed you may compare suggested configurations for ISV's most similar to your application type.
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/solutions/en/wsadvisor?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

12. Big-K

Big-K

I too would build my own. If buying, I'd probably go for an emachines. I've never really bought a plain name brand computer though.

13. brite750

brite750

Well, it hasnt died yet, lord knows I beat on it a lot, had to up my ram to 2.5 gigs, want 4 gigs but you know how those bean counters are, its like pulling teeth., they are too strange on the inside though for a home computer, but for free I guess I would take it home.

14. hewee

hewee

Well my sister just got one for home use so I need to get over there and see it. Only got it with one CPU I guess to keep the price down.

15. brite750

brite750

My one at work is a 650, dual Xeon 2.4ghz, 533fsb, 10rpm hdd, Quadro4 980xgl, its nice, but like i said $2700, thats a lot for a home internet machine.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329153

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice