1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-mail attachments in OE

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by nibor, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

I can send e-mails, I can send e-mails with Word attachments, but I cannot send e-mails with .jpg or .pdf attachments. Transmission starts, then stops and virtually freezes. I have had numerous talks with my ISP, ntl, who have confirmed that my OE settings are correct, and I have disabled anti-virus checking of outgoing e-mails. I can send e-mails with these attachments by Webmail from ntl's website, so it seems that the problem is an Outlook Express one. This is a new problem - I have sent numerous e-mails with .jpg and .pdf attachments before and have not knowingly changed any settings. But this suddenly started this week, and ntl have confessed themselves baffled. Can anyone help, please?

nibor

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

What file size are the .jpg and .pdf attachments? Try sending a very small .jpg and see if that makes a difference. I saw a problem a while ago where transmission would start and progress to about 270 kb and then stop. I think the problem was eventually solved with a work around by creating a new OE identity.

I don't think the following link relates to your problem, but it might be worth a look. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254926

3. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

Thanks for your quick response, xgerryx. A Word file I can send is 55 Kb; a .jpg file I can't send is only 35 Kb

4. sekirt

sekirt

What version of Windows are you using? Did you install SP2?

If you have McAfee, the file McVSEscn.exe can be at fault. They do have a patch. To search McAfee forums for help:

http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Norton may have a similar problem. Check their site, if it applies.

sekirt

5. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

I use Windows 98SE. I have AVG anti virus, which I have disabled for outgoing e-mails. I don't know what SP2 is, but I don't think I've installed it. The main thing is that I've always been able to send e-mails with graphic attachments - this problem suddenly started without my having changed any settings. Weird or what? xgerryx's helpful link to Microsoft support certainly described my problem, but it related to a Modem I don't have, and the advised cure - adding S12=50 to the extra settings - certainly didn't work. I may try reinstalling IE6 and OE5.5, but I'm anxious to avoid that if possible, since I always run into difficulties on that sort of action.

nibor

6. sekirt

sekirt

SP2 is for XP.

You didn't install or uninstall any software?

Check Security settings.
    IE->Tools->Internet Options->Security Tab Set to Default level.
    OE->Tools->Options->Security Tab Set to Internet Zone.

I don't have other ideas right now...maybe someone else can jump in here with an idea.

sekirt

7. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

Thanks for your tips, sekirt. I confirm that IE and OE settings are already as you have recommended.

nibor

8. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

Sorry, sekirt, I forgot to add that I have not installed any software recently. I did install a new antivirus (AVG) but that was some time ago; then when I was happy it was going OK I uninstalled Norton antivirus fairly recently. Could that have had an effect?

nibor

9. sekirt

sekirt

See if it helps to have Outlook Express re-register its file types.

Quit Outlook Express.
    Start->Run. Type: msimn /reg Click OK.
    Note the space before the slash.

If that doesn't work you could try to repair IE (OE is part of it).
    Start->Run. Type: msinfo32 Click OK.
    When it opens...click Tools->choose Internet Explorer repair tool

sekirt

10. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

I have tried the two fixes you suggest, sekirt - no luck, I'm afraid. I'm beginning to think this problem is insoluble. Of course I can use ntl's Webmail, which works OK, but it's a nuisance to have to log on to a website to send an e-mail. Anyway, thanks for your efforts so far.

nibor

11. sekirt

sekirt

Did you check to make sure Send pictures with messages is checked off?

OE->Tools->Options->Send Tab->HTML

For a test and perhaps a work around, see if you can embed a jpg and send it.
    When you open an email click the message area to activate it. Then click Insert on the menu and choose picture. Browse to one on your hard drive and proceed to insert it.

sekirt

12. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

Yes, Send pictures with messages is checked. I've now tried embedding a jpg in the email (I never knew one could do that!), but with exactly the same result - OE won't send it.

nibor

13. sekirt

sekirt

I have about run out of ideas. What about different graphic formats? Like GIF or BMP? Do you have any other problems viewing them or downloading them from the net? You do check for spyware? You do empty your Temporary Internet Files/Cookies/History?

It could be something causing a conflict....this might be tedious but you could press CTRL+Alt+Del and start closing various programs, one at a time. You need to leave Explorer and systray. Check inbetween and see if you can get OE to send the attachments. I would start with AV, pop-up blockers, add-on toolbars, firewall.

Unless someone else has ideas, you may have to format and reinstall Windows. Which I seldom ever recommend.

sekirt

14. NoTongue

NoTongue

Are you sending the e-mail to someone in your address book?
    Try sending to someone NOT in your address book and also, change the mail so that it is TEXT ONLY (instead of HTML) and still attach the .JPG

15. nibor

nibor Thread Starter

To Sekirt - I regularly check for spyware and clean up Temp Internet files etc. The attachments I can't send are .jpg, .pdf and .gif. But I can send attachments with .bmp and .tif. That seems really weird to me. I haven't got round to closing programs one by one. I need a whole day for that! As for reinstalling Windows, for reasons too complicated to explain I don't have a Windows 98 CD. I thought of downloading the latest IE from the Internet and reinstalling that. But I gather uninstalling IE is not too easy.

To NoTongue - the first time this problem arose was when sending to an address not in my address book. I'll try your second idea when I have a moment.

Many thanks to all for their ideas.

Nibor

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice