1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-mail client not displaying in-line images

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ImWolf, Apr 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ImWolf

ImWolf Thread Starter

Not sure if this post belongs here, since I've read many accounts now of the same problem among users with various O/S's and e-mail clients.

In my case I'm using WinXP and Eudora e-mail client.

When I (and other victims) login to the ISP's mail server using a (FireFox) web browser the messages and attachments appear fine. When I forward (D/L to my client) some of those messages that I want to archive, the attachments become "broken links" with the famous "red X" in the box. I am able to click on the "broken link" however which takes me to the associated web host.

I've been using the same software for years, and never had this problem until I wiped the drive and re-installed everything about 18 months ago. At first I suspected I was missing a vital update from MS who at that point no longer supported XP. But then I started reading online messages left by various ppl who also suddenly had the same issues.

Looking a bit deeper, I noticed that the e-mails I D/L which do not have issues have different header info than the ones that do not display the attachments correctly.

If the header info does not contain "DKIM-Signature" then the attachments are displayed normally.

If the header info does included "DKIM-Signature" but not the reference to MIME, then the attachments are not displayed normally.

When the header shows "DKIM-Signature" and a reference to MIME then the message appears the same as when viewed on the ISP server.

For 18 months I've tried various fixes including Internet Option settings, Eudora settings, using Outlook instead of Eudora.... nada.

Have any of you folks experienced a similar issue?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I can't say this is the same thing for Eudora as I don't use it, but in Outlook images are not downloaded until I tell it to, or the sender is in my safe sender list. Most likely to prevent viruses/malware from getting on your computer as soon as you open the email. Could it be that Eudora is doing the same thing?

3. ImWolf

ImWolf Thread Starter

I've played with a lot of settings, but I'm sure there are many more I haven't touched. Is your "Safe Sender List" associated with Outlook, Control Panel/Internet Options", or ISP Address Book?

With my Earthlink e-mail server, new mail is directed into either INBOX, SUSPECT MAIL, or KNOWN SPAM. I can login to the server with a browser and view mail or move it to a different "box". I can also "Move to INBOX and ADD Contact" so that the next message from this sender will always be directed to the INBOX.

Then when I start Eudora, the client downloads only those messages on the server INBOX. Some of these senders have been on my ISP Contact List for decades, and used to display fine after being downloaded by Eudora.

It was only recently that I noticed the Header Info differences with messages as described in my initial post here. I only see "bare bones" Header Info when viewing messages on the server, but I'm not a mail protocol guru so I can't say if this Header Info is generated by Eudora, or generated by the sender and just not displayed when logged into the server with my web browser.

Thanks for the reply,
    Wolf

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The safe sender list is a list within Outlook, although since I am using Office 365, it may be at the server level and synced to my Outlook. I should look into that.

As to the email headers, those are created at the sender's side, so an email client or the web portal (server) but the headers generally are the same... i think the MIME part is part of the data.

I did a quick look and found this instruction:

With Eudora opened, go to Tools, Options, scroll down and highlight
    Display, check where it says, "Automatically download HTML graphics".
    Highlight Viewing Mail, then check "Allow executables in HTML
    content". Highlight Styled Text, then check "Send both plain and
    styled", that way everyone can read it. Click OK.

I don't know if this will work, and really for security reasons it should be off but for testing purposes I would suggest it.

5. ImWolf

ImWolf Thread Starter

I believe your "safe sender list" is the same as my ISP's "contact list".

From online reading: "MIME stands for Multi-Purpose Internet Mail Extensions. As the name indicates, it is an extension to the Internet email protocol that allows it’s users to exchange different kinds of data files over the Internet such as images, audio, and video."

If I we don't see MIME in a received e-mail header, then the sender did not format the message (with attachments) using MIME. I suspect Eudora is having issues with DKIM format.

My Eudora settings were already as your found article, except for allowing executables in HTML. I tested that setting and it made no difference, so unchecked it again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1226402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice