1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e-mail frustration

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by montemag, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. montemag

montemag Thread Starter

Hello People- I have a small problem- I am using Windows XP and Outlook Express 6. This problem started the last 3 weeks or so- my daughters computer is in repair so she is using my computer and lately everytime she opens outlook express and SWITCHES identity and reads her e-mail everything is FINE. But when I go to switch identiites and then click on my main identity the e-mail usually reopens with my e-mail showing. BUT no it does not. This happens ALL the time and everytime we go back and forth switching identities- we have to literally RESTART the computer to start the e-mail program again. There is no error message just it will not reopen when we switch identities??? I called cablevision- my imternet supplier and they said it is a software problem?? Please advise.:confused:

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Have you tried creating a new Identity and seeing if you can switch from your daughters to that?

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

I believe the poster did say she is switching identities. My thought is perhaps the daughter has her e-mail startup in the all user\start programs folder?

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

I read that as OE opens in the Main Identity, can switch to the daughters Identity without problem, and freezes when switching back to the Main Identity. Hopefully the OP can clarify what's occurring.

5. montemag

montemag Thread Starter

Let me explain again- usually when clicking on icon on desktop- e-mail opens normally. Then when you click on file and then switch identity and another box appears that has My main identity as well as my daughters name for her identity--she would highlight her name by clicking and clicking on OK and outlook express would AUTOMATICALLY close hen refresh itself and reopen as her e-mail account- BUT it would NOT-it just closed and did not reopen? Then she would click on the e-mail icon on the desktop and the hourglass(thinking) would appear then stop- and the e-mail never reopened. That is when we had to restart the whole computer.

6. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Got it. OE opens normally but is unable to switch to your daughters Identity.
    Most likely it's corruption in your daughters Identity.
    Create a new Identity, File>Identities>Add new Identity.

Switch to the New Identity when prompted.
    Cancel out the Internet Connection Wizard and any requests to Import anything.

Try switching to the Main Identity.If it switches from the New Identity to the Main Identity okay, switch back to the New Identity (If it freezes, restart or whatever you have to do to open it to the Main Identity and then try switching to the New Identity).

If OE switches back and forth from the New to the Main Identities, you can set up your daughters account and Import her mail into the New Identity.
    Let me know if that allows you to switch Identities.

T.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice