1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-mail help

Discussion in 'General Security' started by uselbi, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

My son’s computer is sending out e-mails (early in the morning when his computer is shut off) to people in his address book and he doesn’t know why and how to stop it? Can someone get me started on how to fix it? Thanks.

2. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    try changing the e-mail access password

3. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

4. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Thanks dotty999 I will try it.

5. dotty999

dotty999

First Name:
    Dotty
    I was advised to do so by my ISP when my e-mail account had been compromised and had no further problems since, hope it works for you too:)

6. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Uselbi, I think you should refer to Phantom10's links. You say these emails are being sent when the computer is "off", and if you really mean "off" as in "no power" then address spoofing is a more likely explanation. If the email password has in fact been compromised, then the mostly likely vector would be a malware infection on the computer. If that's the case, the new password will also be compromised. Still, a computer that's turned off simply can't send email. Follow up on Phantom10's advice.

7. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Snagglegaster, Yes, my computer was off at the time. I went to the Phantom10's links but what am I looking for? Thanks

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You can't do much about it, at least not with the actual account. The links are to give you all the facts about email spoofing and how it is achieved, along with advice on how to avoid it, or at least limit it.

9. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Phantom010,
    I went to the Phantom10 website, but can't find anything that tells me about my e-mail problems?

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The point is someone is sending e-mails from a completely different account, but they're using tricks to make it look like the e-mail is coming from your account. You can't do anything about it, and it doesn't mean there's anything wrong with your computer or your account.

11. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

I'm trying to find out how they got into my son's e-mail address book? Thanks.

12. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

You may never get a definitive answer to that. Malware on your system is one possibility, but an infection on a friends computer would most likely have the same result as they would have many address in common. If your son and his friends are active in chatrooms, for instance, that would leave them all vulnerable to a harvester. Or your son and friends could all be members of some less than ethical site that simply sells their addresses.

13. uselbi

uselbi Thread Starter

Snagglegaster, Thank you

14. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

You're welcome, but I realize it's pretty cold comfort. Just to keep it in perspective, you need to think about how vulnerable your physical mail might be. There are any number of ways that outsiders could obtain your mailing address and even examine your mail. Heck, I've had a replacement credit card stolen out of my mailbox and used to run up bunches of illicit charges. It's a good idea to limit public exposure for any sensitive information, and having a post office box that's kept under lock and key for physical mail, or a hotmail/gmail, etc. account for your more public activities isn't a bad idea either.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice