1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-Mail Issue

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by FZWG, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Appreciate some assistance.

Trying to help a senior citizen, who is not computer savvy, and is having some e-mail problems. The account is an @msn.com account, and is web-based (it is not a @hotmail.com account). E-mail from the account can be sent to anyone except to other @msn.com accounts, which include her daughter and most of her friends. However, the individulal can send herself a message (@msn.com to @msn.com).

Outlook Express 6.0 is the e-mail client, and Internet Explorer 6.0 is used to connect to the Internet. Initially, last August, when the account was created, MSN Explorer was installed, but has since been removed from Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.

Have talked to MSN tech support ad-nauseaum, and to this date, no solution. All they suggest is to remove the account from Outlook Express, and then Add it once again.

Anyone heard of any such issue, or have any suggestions to try?
    Thanks in advance for the help.

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Don't use Outlook Express to check msn email.

go to www.hotmail.com and log in to your MSN account preferably with an different browser like Mozilla, Netscape, or Opera.

You can log into your msn account from www.hotmail.com

I don't believe there are any options that would not allow the email to be sent to other msn accounts. The account could just be messed up.

You could ask MSN to reset the email account.

If all else fails, just signup for a free hotmail account or other free email and use that.

MSN Explorer leftovers could definitely be the problem if resetting the account doesn't work. I am not certain, but I did read a while back that once you install msn explorer, you can't get rid of it totally without reinstalling the OS. (no comfirmation on that though)

I would Definitely look in to using a non-microsoft email.

Another thing to try is, have her allow you to log in to her msn email from your computer and then try sending mail to her daughter with that account. If that works, then it's obviously her computer.

3. Del

Del

Who is her ISP??

4. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

The ISP is MSN.

It is definitively her computer, just trying to figure out what in the world...

MSN Explorer was uninstalled in August 2002. Would think it is dead as a door nail, but who knows. Might try out MSN 8. Don't know if that will make things better or worse!

5. grybeard22

grybeard22

hi fzwg
    the prob that u are having is in both the pc and the account.

when u can send email to everyone but not to anyone with an msn email account it is an issue with the domain at the server.

I used to tech for msn and I know this issue all to well ....what needs to be done is to have her call msn tech support and ask to be refered to an advanced tech ....the tech's that she talks to ( or you will talk to) at first level are more or less just greeters...they are very limited as to what they can do ..so to get anything done correctly you have to go to an advanced tech.

Once this is done one of the level 2 tech's will call her and they are to stay with her for as long as it takes to solve the issue unless its at the server end.
    what they need to do is have the server team reset the mail account at the server...the account is corrupt at the mail box in the server and then she needs to have them walk her threw the registry and remove the "msn explorer " from the registry.

Its a bit of a long process but its the only way to solve the issue..part is with msn and part is with the pc

hope this helps

6. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, grybeard22.

You are exactly correct. Best explanation I've gotten about the issue. After chatting with 4 or 5 MSN techies for a total of several hours, got nowhere. Not one of them knew how to solve the issue.

Did some hard diggin' and found that if the individual with the web-based account, with a @msn.com domain sends an email to a POP3 account using a [email protected] domain, the message does go through. However, the server does not recognize the [email protected] domain if she sends email to a POP3 account. Weird!!!

The person with the problem is a senior citizen who lives in another town, and she is not computer savvy at all. If I tell her someone from MSN will be calling to help her, she will be in sheer panic.

Might send the MSN advanced techies an email to see what happens. If they reply to me I will go to her house and do whatever needs done. Have done a Registry change now and then, and know enough to be dangerous and get by.

Do you think they will provide the assistance necessary through an email?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

PM me for my private msn email account address so we can test mine. I've had issues in the past, but the only thing that makes sense to me, is that she went in and put a block on all addresses ending in msn.......

[email protected]

8. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

This computer is not the one having the problems. The one that does belongs to a senior citizen who does not know much about computers other than emailing her daughter, family, etc., and some web-surfing to her Bible websites.

Initially MSN Explorer was installed, and its interface was too complicated for her, so installed IE and OE 6.0. Email worked fine since last August, but about a month ago she could no longer send email to anyone with an @msn.com account (of course, that included her significant others). Her web based account does not include the option to Block Sender, and she would not know how to do that, anyway.

Did some diggin', and found some info that leads one to believe that MSN uses certain conventions to differentiate between users with the old Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3) email accounts and those with the new Web based email accounts.

MSN no longer allows the creation of the old Post Office Protocol (POP3) accounts, and these accounts are apparently routed through a different server. Users with POP3 e-mail accounts appear to be routed through [email protected] and users with web based accounts appear to be routed through [email protected].

From what I understand, this gyration is called 'aliasing', and provides a 'false' but easy to remember email address. For example, an MSN member may think their email addresses is something like [email protected] but under the covers (so to speak), the address 'really' is [email protected] or [email protected].

As long as this individual uses MSN mail within the web based system, everything works fine. The system translates the 'false' alias to the real address and vice versa. However, if she sends email to someone with a POP3 account, it appears as if [email protected] and [email protected] seem to be completely different addresses for the server to recognize.

Since her [email protected] is a web based account, and her relatives' [email protected] and are POP3, it appears that two different servers are involved, and one does not seem to recognize the other. If she sends email to someone outside of MSN, there is no issue!!

Something like that.....make any sense??

9. grybeard22

grybeard22

Hi again
    yes it does make sense
    we used to called it "routing issue's"..lol ...they used to be able to "roll back" as they called it a web based account back to a pop3 account but as I understand it now they no longer use pop3 mail so they are not doing that anymore.

If you send an email to tech support they will email back with step by step on how to delete the msn explorer from the registry...not that hard to do but it does take a little "savy" to get it right and I do not recommend trying it on your own without the instructions handy......they will also do a follow up by phone if you include your phone # with the email

good luck with that

10. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Update.

Just had an on line chat with an MSN tech support rep, and he tells me that the email account in question is not properly synchronized at the server's end.

However, when I asked him what exactly that meant, he changed the topic.

What is the synchronization all about?

Thanks in advance for the help.

11. Del

Del

Can't explain it to you, but I've heard of it before.
    They send a ticket to someone who has the tool to resync the account and a few hours or a day later, it works again.

12. grybeard22

grybeard22

Hi fzwg
    yes Del is right .....its just a fancy word the have to use that means your particular mailbox for your account on the server is "out of wac" and they have to reset the account ....simply what they do is delete the account and recreate it on the server end only ...you dont have to do anything on your end.

The tech that you chatted with sends a ticket {email) to the team that works on the email server with the request and it will and its suppose to be handled within 24-48 hrs ...of course it can take a week sometimes...lol...guess it just depends on the mood! and they will send you an email to your account that says the "issue" ( geez I hate that word!)..lol...has been resolved. why they just cant say that the proplem is fixed I dont know!! lol

anyway I hope that helps

13. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies, and for the explanation. Get better info from you, than from MSN.

In addition to chatting on-line, sent an e-mail to the Advanced Techies at MSN, and got a reply to update the .NET Password Profile!!?? What does that have to do with e-mail??

Also asked them about removing MSN Explorer from the Registry, and he suggested to do a Start>Find for it, and delete the MSN 6 file. No Registry guidance. Don't even know if MSN 6 and MSN Explorer are the same thing.

Just for my own curiosity, do MSN techies work out of centers throughout the USA, or are these people who work out of their home?

Some of them seem to know what the issue is, and how to help. Others are so off base, that it is pathetic.....

14. Del

Del

Yes grybeard22,
    If you saw the movie, Appolo 13, you would know, had they been trained in tech support, rather then "Houston, we have a problem" it would have been, "Houston, we have an issue"
    hehe
    Sorry, that was a techie joke.. never is there a problem, only issues.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118052

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice