1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e-mail jpg attachments

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Doofle, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Doofle

Doofle Thread Starter

Hope this isn't too silly a question to ask... here goes,

I attach a scan as a jpg file to an e-mail. The jpg file is manufactured and compressed via the standard HP photo/imaging equip that came with my HP scanner.
    The e-mailing system is Microsoft Outlook, ran through operating program ME.

Test e-mails have the attachment arriving correctly, but the attachment also displays itself grossly maginfied in the text box.

Why? (I've tried maniupulating many settings without success.)

Also, the HP scan isn't always supported on the other end of the e-mail, due to lack of compatable program to open it (I assume). Is there a way to avoid this, simplifying the process, with said equipment?

Doofle

2. Del

Del

When you scan in an image, it's hugh, you have to use a software like Photoshop for instance to reduce it to about 600x400 pixels. If you send the scanned image, it will be hugh on the other end.

3. 0tbyn8r

0tbyn8r

You could also try Irfanview. It's free to download and will allow you to resize the image as well as do other things.
    If the image is scanned and saved as a jpg whoever you send it to doesn't need the software you have. Any image viewer supporting jpg should open it.
    The software that came with your scanner should have an option to allow what file type you want to save the image as. For example, I use a Canon scanner. Through Canon's software I have the option to crop the image, resize it etc, select the file type and then open it in a specified image program (eg Photoshop).
    Check the options you have available when your HP scanning software launches; there might be a field giving you the option of 'save as type.'

4. Doofle

Doofle Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies -- maybe my question has been misunderstood.

A jpg file, created from a scan, resized and compressed, is attached to an e-mail. The recipient recieves and can open the attachment okay, but a rediculously massive respresenatation of the attachment displays in the text box too. Why? How is this avoided?

5. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You mean to say the image is visible in the preview pane as well? Well, that is how Outlook/Outlook Express have been made. But if the image is displayed in a totally different size than there is some problem. Is it what is hapeening?

If yes, what happens in your machine in Outlook Preview Pane? Is it happening in the machine of all the recepients or only one of them?

6. Doofle

Doofle Thread Starter

Outgoing e-mial message preview pane (I call it the text box -- meaning the place where you type a message, the text, for an email) is blank, no text or image is placed there or displays there when sent. When the attachment is recieved, it arrives as a normal attachment, but also displays itself enormously enlarged in the pane (or text box).

Hope that clarifies my problem a little more.

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy

You can't stop it from showing in the message window with Outlook Express but it should be the same file size that you sent.

What size is the file when you attach it and what size does it arrive at...something in the 40-60 KB range is a comfortable email size

buck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice