1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-mail notification and thread subscibtion

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by raybro, Sep 29, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

As some may or may not have noticed, I post quite a lot on this forum. As a result, I have corresponding buildup of e-mail notifications in my web based e-mail, which I check maybe a couple of times a week. Since I have little use for the e-mail notification because I'm on tyhe forum so much, I went into my "Edit Options" and unchecked e-mail notification.

This also appears to have disabled the automatic thread subscription whenever I post to a thread. Now I must manually subscribe to a thread I post to.

Is there a way to get the thread subscription without the e-mail notification :confused:

2. RandyG

RandyG

uhmmm . . . they are one and the same. If you do not want to receive emails, why would you subscribe to the thread?

Now, I can see where you are going with this, and can see that having the options split might be neat, but why? Why would you want to subscribe to a thread, but not receive notifications? That's the entire point to subscribing to the thread. Now I know that you can go to your User Panel and see all threads you have subscribed to, but you can see pretty much the same thing bu hitting all the forums and looking for the folders with the bullet hole in them. That shows you responded to that thread at some point.

Maybe if you make a point, Mike can consider it . . .

3. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Well, it's like this. I have my browser set to open TSG to the User Panel which, as I'm sure you are aware, contains a sunscribed threads section. In this section are listed any threads to which new posts to which I am subscribed are listed. I use this in lieu of the e-mail to know if there have been new posts to threads to which I am subscribed.

I find this approach infinitely more efficient than opening mutiple e-mails to find out which threads have had new posts.

The point being, I can see at a glance how many threads I'm interested in have new posts.

Hhhmmm. Just checked my e-mail and there was a notification in there for this thread. I had previously gone into "Edit Options" and select "NO" to e-mail notification. Yet I recieved an E-mail notification after I manually subscribed to this thread and you responded. It appears your assertion of them being one and the same is accurate.

4. RandyG

RandyG

It would certainly make the User Panel more useful. I never really use it, as I got into my TSG Browsing habits before we had one of those new-fangled dealies.;):D

My link into TSG takes me to New Posts since last visit and I also come to the site from the notification mails.

It may be possible for Mike to implement this, but we'll have to wait and see. I'll send him a PM notifying him of the suggestion.

5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Yup, they're one in the same. As you might know, the new version of the software we use (vB3) is coming out soon. However, I'd be surprised if that option is even available then. This might actually be something i can hack, though, if enough people want it.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!