E mail picture size

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shane

What is the best size to use for e mailing pictures?

Dumb question? Easy to answer :)

Thanks

Entirely depends on the recipients internet connection method (broadband or dial-up) in my view.

I would never personally send any file of greater size than 100 kB to a dial-up recipient or 1 MB to broadband recipient without their prior approval.

It really depends on what the recipient intends to do with the image.
If its just for casual viewing on their computer most images will be ok at 100kb or sometimes less.

If they want to print them, its best to keep them close to if not original size.

I sometimes send a number of images at a small size letting the recipient know they can request full if needed.

buck52

Banned
one more thought..

anything much bigger than 600 x 400 pixels, regardless of file size, requires scrolling to see the complete image... many consider that a pain..

buck

Shane

Thanks for all replies , especially Bucks pixel size answer.

RT

By far, the quickest, easiest method I know of to send reasonably sized photos via email is with the "Send To" command.

Right click the image file and choose Send to > Mail Recipient, tic 'make my pictures smaller' if you want to get them into the 40-70 kb range (or choose 'keep original size' if that's appropriate for the purpose). Your email program should then automatically open with the file(s) attached and there you go.

Works well with original files up to the 1-2 MB range and will downsize them to <100kb (generally).
Fine for viewing, maybe not so good for printing, as xgerryx mentioned.

You can select multiples files and send them all this way, too, with one right click. This is assuming Windows Xp and Outlook Express as OS and default mail program, BTW.

If you happen to have Windows XP and just want to easily resize the odd image there is a small program you can download.

Go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

You will find "ImageResizer.exe" down on the right hand side of the page.

This program when installed adds a very good basic image resize feature to your right click. Then all you have to do is pick one of a few size options it gives you. It keeps your origional file as it was and creates a smaller version with (small) added to the name.

corey19981

oohhh ohh me!! listen to me!!!!! I know about this one. when your in windows explorer, right click on the image, go 'open with', then press 'Microsoft Office Picture and Fax Viewer'. if it's not in the list, press 'Choose Program' and select it from that list. once opened with picture and fax viewer, go file/Export, and then a bar will pop up on the side. at the bottom of this sidebar, you will see a tab called 'export using this size'. you get the choices of...

Original Size
Document Large (1024 x 768 px)
Document Small (800 x 600 px)
Web Large (640 x 480 px)
Web Small (448 x 336 px)
E-mail Large (314 x 235 px)
E-mail Small (160 x 160 px)

Corey

p.s

man, it's really rewarding to help people!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online