1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

e-mail problem solved

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by pointegirl, Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pointegirl

pointegirl Thread Starter

Hi All

This is just a note to let all those that helped me with a problem a while back that it is solved.
    My daughter had trouble when she went into Outlook Express to send or recive her mail. We couldn't figure out the problem at all. Even the Tech guys couldn't figure it out.
    We figured out that when she goes into the mail using the taskbar icon for mail it won't work. If she uses the shortcut on the desktop, it works fine. Figure that out if you can.
    We are just glad that the problem is solved. I am going to phone the Tech guy and tell him about it in case other people have come across this problem.
    Thanks for all of your help with this problem. Trust a brand new computer user to figure it out. (my daughter)
    Keep up the good work here. You have solved quite a few of my problems and I am grateful.

Pointegirl

2. Dark Star

Dark Star

pointegirl,

"We figured out that when she goes into the mail using the taskbar icon for mail it won't work. If she uses the shortcut on the desktop, it works fine. Figure that out if you can."

The reason is because the mail program from Outlook Express is not been set up as the default mail program in Internet Explorer.

When in OE verify the default mail by program by going to Tools>
    Options> General tab and at the bottom of the box you will see "Default Messaging Programs" and a bar to the right that allows you to select it (Outlook Express) as "Make Default".

If the bar is greyed out then it has already been made the Default Mail Program and the problem is in the registry settings.

We talked about this recently in here:
    http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65482

I just wound up backing up all my *.dbx files and all my *.wab files and removed my version of OE 5.50 from the add/remove programs and downloaded IE 5.5sp2 over again because OE 5.50 is not available as a download anywhere as a stand alone.
    Downloading IE5.5sp2 resolved the problem for me as I did not want to mess with the registry settings.

DS

3. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Congrats on figuring it out, PointeGirl's daughter! Welcome to the world of "all I know about computers, I figured out because something was screwed up"! :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!