1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-mail Problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by argon, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. argon

argon Thread Starter

I'm experiencing this really odd problem.

To make a long story short, today when I attempted to check my e-mail as usual (using Outlook Express) I was suprised when I got the following error:

Code:
    Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'www.home-interiors.ca', Server: 'www.home-interiors.ca', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
    I haven't changed any settings at all and my e-mail provider has confirmed that it isn't from there end. The weird thing is that no other e-mails that I own on this computer work, they all get the same error.

Now here's something even odder; All these e-mails work on my other computer. I have tried changing my router ports and stuff but it's all open

Also, I can access hotmail based e-mails on this computer, but that's about it!

Please help

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

Hello and welcome to TSG! :D

Download Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware -- install both programs.

Download all updates for each program before running them (for Spybot, click on "Search for Updates" then look for the button that says "Unido(Europe)" -- change it to the USA mirror site.) Reboot between programs: if you use Adaware first, reboot afterwards then run Spybot (or vice versa).

In AdAware, after updating it, click "Start", click on the circle (making sure it is green or has a green check in it) for "Custom Scanning Options", click on "Customize" next to it, click on the circle for "Scan Within Archives", "Scan active processes", "Scan registry", "Deep Scan Registry", "Scan my IE Favorites for banned URLs" and "Scan my Hosts file". Click "Proceed".

Now, check/click on the circle "Activate In depth Scan" and hit "Next".

Have the programs fix anything they find.

Finally, download Hijack This, run it but do not fix anything yet, save it as a .txt file, copy the Hijack Log and post it.

3. stoneycary

stoneycary

I am having the same problem - brand new computer , about 4 wks
    and have NIS2004 -- on it with WinXP and OLE-6 using ATT Worldnet

what I have found is that I am getting emails about some ebay bidding and the mail has some type of java script in it ??

If I go out and use the webmail interface I can delete or report the offending email as spam and then go back to my pc mail and bring in all of the other emails -- my outlook express hangs and indicates which email it is loading at the time of the failure -- so it is easy to find in web mail -

So any help on this issue - whether it be Outlook issue/Norton or whatever

I do not know whatelse to do -

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222066

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice