1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E mail Problem

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lspatrou, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lspatrou

lspatrou Thread Starter

Help I have just spent 4 hours trying to solve a e-mail problem can not seem to locate where to go to solve same.

I have on a number of occasion tried to send a new e-mail to the White House in Washington ( but not the only place this problem has come up) The site automatically puts in the individual e-mail addressed to select for my husband or I . Unfortunately, the e-mail for me is wrong. It is an old e-mail account I had last year. I have tried finding were this account maybe on my computer to change it but can not locate. Have tried every where. Thought it could be coded in my old netscape set up but that was deleted long ago, however, I did find that it is still on the root directory and not sure if I can just delete from there. Netcape does not show up on the Start menu directory where you uninstall software. Do not understand that at all since I really am not a technical person on all of the computer stuff which is why I am sooo happy to find a place that maybe able to help me.

Please let me know what other information you might need to help me solve this problem, since I need to send this email to the White House as soon as possible. Thank You.

Linda Patrou

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

lspatrou
    Welcome to TSG!
    There is several possibilities here. You could have the information stored in a cookies file, dat file, or it is possible the web page you are using has it stored. Are you able to change the e-mail address while your filling out the e-mail section at the site?
    Dave

3. hewee

hewee

"The site automatically puts in the individual e-mail addressed to select"

If you want to email someone that you have got email from you just click reply and it will put the address and subject in for you.
    If the address that you want to email is in your address book and you want to send a new email you can start a new email and click on the address button and find the address and click TO: and then ok.
    Or you can open the address book first and highlight the address you want to email and click on the New message button.

Here is a good Netscape help site.
    http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

The site own you get help from here.
    http://www.windows-help.net/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?
    There is a Netscape Forum there.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

Good morning lspatrou

Here is the PM I recieved from you last night concerning the e-mail problem.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    lspatrou

Thank you for responding back on the problem.

I did try to change the email address through the White House E-mail box but it would not let me. Hence the problem. Since I had to get a special digital certificate to send them an email I have to change this old email address to send the new e-mail.

Do not think ATT who is my internet provider has it in their documentation since this was a problem when I set up their software. I thought they had taken all references to it off the computer. Sooo maybe it is in a "cookie". This is were I am a bit lost. As I remember cookies allow for you to automatically return to specific sites but I am not sure how to delete them for good.

I also remember that I was with Netcape for sometime and thought that might be one of the problems, since I was on AZStarnet.com when I had Netcape. Not sure if they could be related. Netcape is no longer showing up on the add/uninstall menu but it does show up on my Programs files.

What do you suggest?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a good cookie remover called spider that will amaze you
    at what it finds. There is so many places that information is stored about you surfing habits, cookies and so on.
    Many at TSG use this program to clean there systems of all the well hidden files. Download and follow instruction to run.
    Click here for Spider
    After you run Spider and clean your system go back and run Spider again and make sure all is gone.

Again your problem may be still at the website but removing all cookies should narrow your search as to source of problem.
    Dave

5. angel

angel

Maybe I missed it but what email client are you using?

6. hewee

hewee

You can go here and clean up your Netscape cookies online.
    Make a copy of the cookie file first then run the scan. It will ask to if it is ok and you have to ok it to go on. After you delete the cookies you need to close down Netscape.
    You need your java on for it to work too.

cookiesweeper
    http://www.cookiesweeper.com/sweep/index.html?

You can also delete the Netscape.hst file.
    It can get very big and it's like a cookie and cache file. You need to have Netscape closed to delete the file. A new one will be made the next time you open Netscape. I deleted the Netscape.hst file each day so it is 200KB but if you have never deleted it I bet it's over a 1 MB.

davey7549,

Most cookie remover programs don't work on Netscape or the free ones. I have used the cookiesweeper and know it works with Netscape.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice