1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-mail tracing

Discussion in 'General Security' started by rdonovan1, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

Is there a way that a person can trace a person's e-mail address to find out who actually owns an e-mail address and where they are really at?

I'm just wondering because I'm kind of in a legal dispute with a large company and I'm looking for any information that might help me to prove my case.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

At best you could trace it to an ISP, and then you'd have to subpoena them to get the customer assigned that address at the time the message was sent. That still doesn't get you a human being's name. Just a site. Anyone with physical access to that location could have sent it.

The simple answer is no. If you're in a dispute with a "large company", trying to trace an e-mail to a person is probably not the right approach.

3. rdonovan1

rdonovan1 Thread Starter

What would be the best approach then?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No idea without knowing the details of the case.

5. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Note that the from address in an email is very easily forged. So is the reply-to address. I assume that's why DoubleHelix talked about tracing it back to an ISP, because the only halfway reliable 'from' data is the server chain-and even that can be partially forged (i.e. by creating headers that appear as if your server is simply relaying it rather than initiating it).

6. hewee

hewee

You can check to see if the email address is fake because this will tell you if the email address is any good.

Free Email Address Verifier
    http://verify-email.org/

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice