1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-MAIL WARNING - jdbgmgr.exe

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by pfunk_40, Sep 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pfunk_40

pfunk_40 Thread Starter

i recently received an e-mail from someone i don't know (from a [email protected]) apologizing for infecting my computer with a virus. she said that it had infected her computer and sent itself out to everyone in her address book(don't know why i was in her address book to begin with, but anyway) i never opened any attachment or anything like that from her or anyone else for that matter. she went on to give specific instructions on how to remove it, but i just wanted to check with someone first because i don't trust random e-mails from people i don't know. what if they just wanted me to remove something from my computer and that was a clever way of getting me to do it?

what she had me search for was an .exe file called jdbgmgr.exe
    it has a little teddy bear icon next to it and it was in my systems32 folder. should i or should i not delete this. what is it? and why would someone want me to delete it?
    thank you in advance for you help.

2. Topkat

Topkat

It's a scam, don't do as it says. I'll look for that old link for you now that explains in detail.

3. Topkat

Topkat

4. winchester73

winchester73

Also, you might read this from Urban Legends: http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/jdbgmgr.htm

Virus name: JDBGMGR.EXE.

"This bogus virus warning (also known as the "Bear Virus") attempts to lure gullible users into deleting perfectly innocuous, standard Windows files from their systems ... If you deleted this file, don't sweat it — JDBGMGR.EXE is only important to programmers who use Microsoft Visual J++ 1.1 to develop Java programs. Its absence will not cause your PC to stop working or interfere with your applications, so if you're not a Java developer, you don't have to worry about restoring it. Consider the experience a lesson learned about the perils of believing and acting upon unverified e-mail warnings."

5. Corrosive

Corrosive

If an email asks you to "forward it to all your friends," it's guaranteed to be a hoax. No doubt about it. Never believe any virus warnings, even if they look like they've come from Microsoft or suchlike. If they have an attachment you have not specifically asked for, then delete it there and then.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163341

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice