1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E-reader

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Dowlinggram, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dowlinggram

Dowlinggram Thread Starter

Which is the best e-reader for Canada. Kindle fire is not available in Canada. Some say the kobo vox but I had never heard of it. If there is a cheaper one that is good then tell me.

2. Firebreather

Firebreather

3. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I believe the poster is looking for e-reader hardware, Firebreather, not software.

Where will you be buying your e-books from? What format are they in? That determines what hardware you should get.

4. Dowlinggram

Is Calibre an E-reader? I couldn't make head nor tail out of that link
    Yes double helix I am looking for a make of e-reader. I don't know where or what format. I imagine she would buy what the reader takes. A couple of reviews I read for kindle says you can get books from chapters and other places. I wouldn't like to get her one where you have to buy just from the maker because the books are sure to cost more and that's a factor too.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Calibre is software.

6. Firebreather

Firebreather

7. ccube

ccube

Perhaps a 7" android tablet. Not locked into specific e-book store (Kindle, B&N, etc), can read almost any document format, browse the web, game, lots of possibilities.

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Be careful with purchasing Android tablets. Many of the cheap 7" models do not come with the Android Market which means you may not be able to install any of the standard e-reader applications.

Reading on an LCD screen is very hard on the eyes. If you expect to do a lot of reading, get a good e-ink reader.

9. Dowlinggram

Thanks doublehelix--I have been doing a lot of investigating on my own and I have decided on the Kobo touch. I would like the Nook Simple reader but there are problems with it in Canada and you have to order from the States and I might not get it before Christmas. Kobo is readily available and you can get books from many places and Chapters book store.

Many thanks to all those that answered. Especially you double helix. I was clueless and you set me on the right track

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!