1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

E6600 or Q6600?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yoshimo, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

Hi to all..

For some time now I have been trying to figure out what the best pieces for my new computer where going to be... I had selected an E6600 procesor, 8800GTX, etc. as I am a hardcore Gamer.
    I do not live in the U.S.A but will be going there between the 6th of July to the 2nd of August to visit my brother who does live there and was planning on ordering the parts just before leaving so that they would be there waiting for me when I arrived.
    To wait or not to wait, that is the quesion. I have been told that on the 22nd of July Intel processors will have a dramatic price reduction, enabling me to buy the same computer for the same price with only one slight difference... instead of having an E6600 i would have an Q6600.
    If I were to wait until the 22nd of July, I would order the pieces on that day and have them arrive 3 days later, on the 25th of July, giving me only 8 days to build, test and make sure all the pieces are working. I have never built a computer before in my life so I will take my time to make sure im doing everything right. If a piece arrives faulty, I will have to send it back and the replacement might not arrive on time before I leave. Also, will there be a big demand on processors that day? Will I be able to order one for myself?

Those are my worries... What do you lot think, should I order now and go with the E6600? or should I wait for the price redctions?
    Am I getting worked up about nothing?... I am just worried that everything might just not work and that by that time it will be to late :(

Thanks for reading and answwering my Question...
    Yoshimo

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

3. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

hmmmm... there doesnt seem to be much of a difference between the 2. How do they work out those statistics?

Can someone please give me an opinion on the matter...

Thanks

4. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

5. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

In a lot of current applications there isn't much of a difference between the two because those applications have not been designed to take advantage of 4 cores. However, as time goes on more and more programs will make use of all 4 cores and the Q6600 will show itself to be far superior.

6. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

ok, So is it worth waiting for the Q6600 to come down in price? will I have enough time to do everything if i wait until the 22nd?

7. jvnderwe

jvnderwe

I certainly think it is worth it to wait for the Q6600 to come down in price because that is exactly what I'm doing :). Perhaps somebody who is more familiar with ordering online in the US can comment on the amount of time you will need.

8. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

thank you for your answer... I think thats what ill do i just need someone te reasure me that its worth waiting and that ill have enough time...

9. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would always go with the newest technology, it protects your investment. I doubt a "rush" will occur that will prevent you from getting what you want in that amount of time, but I guess it depends on where you will be in US i.e. big city vs rural area.

11. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

I will be in San Francisco :) I am also having trouble choosing a motherboard.. Have no idea what p35, g33, southbridge, northbridge mean. I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand on that as well.

Thanks in advance

12. Yoshimo

Yoshimo Thread Starter

OK so I will order the parts on the 22nd then and... This is roughly what I was thinking:

[​IMG]

hmmmmm... I'm supposed to only have 2000 bucks.... Hopefully other parts will also come down in price.

Thanks for reading...

13. tony oh

tony oh

Hi,

I'm in the same boat for a while now I have been looking at benchmarks regarding the q6600 and the newer 6750 and 6850. As far as I can see the higher clock speeds can allow for the 2 latter cpu's to produce higher frame rates in some games. But when this is compared to the application usage which I'm using to kinda extrapolate the future performance of multicored games then the obvious choice would be the q6600 - for me anyways.

It will be interesting to see when Bioshock and Crysis hit the stores just how many cores they can use.

If it's two then probably there will be a small performance deficit for the q6600 due to clock speed.
    If it's four cores then can we expect the same level of improvement as in applications such as pinnacle and 3dstudio..... if that were the case then the performance gap would be vastly in favour of the q6600.

Just a quick note here:

I was just looking at the bench marks above in toms hardware and the difference they have between the q6600 and the e6600 in applications and it seems much smaller than other sites give .... mmm??

Still, I'm mostly interested in the games and will go for the q6600 - fingers crossed.

It will me nice to play Oblivion on 2 cores and convert video at the same time?

14. YesYes

YesYes

Is there going to be another Intel Price cut? If yeah then I'm looking forward to it coz I'm buying a new PC in August.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice