Ea data.sf

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DKTaber

Today I copied a large folder containing multiple Access databases, Excel workbooks, Word docs, etc. to a totally blank jump drive like I have done 100s of times before. But for the first time in my 'computer life', which started in 1980(!), a file appeared on it with the name EA DATA.SF. Googling the file told me that it was a system file and had something to do with Extended Attributes (whatever that is). But the file is protected; attempts to delete it, even using the command prompt and first removing all attributes (attrib -h -s -r ea*.sf) does not allow it to be deleted.

The Google search showed many cases like this, but none where there was a clear, easy way to delete the file. My questions are:
  • What is this file for/what does it do?
  • Why am I seeing it for the first time in 30 years?
  • How can I delete it. . . or SHOULD I delete it?

DKTaber

Seems like the easiest way is to move your data off of the drive and reformat the drive.
I did. . . and immediately thereafter, copied the same folder to the jump drive. . . and the EA DATA.SF file appeared again. So even after reformatting, as soon as I copy a large folder to it, the EA file is recreated.

This is an OS/2 file, and why it appears when the OS is Win XP is beyond me. But at this point, I'm just going to accept that it's going to be there.

DKTaber

Addendum to my last post: I did an experiment where I first formatted the jump drive, then copied a large (zip) FILE to it. When I did that, no EA DATA.SF file appeared. I then erased that file and copied a FOLDER with multiple subfolders (quite complex) to the drive. EA DATA.SF appeared. Formatted the drive again and copied a very simple folder (few files, no sub-folders) to it. EA DATA.SF again appeared. So it apparently happens only when I copy a folder to the drive, not when I just copy files. ?????????

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online