Earthlink 2005 installation

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cwt1924

This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe one of your members may know the answer. I have been trying for some time to reinstall Earthlink 2005 Broadband software. When I download the software and try to install it I get the error message C:\windows\temp\TA_installer\windows\MSXML3.msi returned 1612. I spent two hours on the phone with a senior Earthlink technician trying to solve it without success. Can you help me? Thanks!
cwt1924 :confused:

cwt1924 said:
This is just a shot in the dark, but maybe one of your members may know the answer. I have been trying for some time to reinstall Earthlink 2005 Broadband software. When I download the software and try to install it I get the error message C:\windows\temp\TA_installer\windows\MSXML3.msi returned 1612. I spent two hours on the phone with a senior Earthlink technician trying to solve it without success. Can you help me? Thanks!
cwt1924 :confused:
Here is a solution to a similar Error 1612 problem which I had when trying to upgrade from Total Access 2004 to Total Access 2005 Earthlink software. While admittedly, it is not identical to your problem with Earthlink 2005 Broadband the problem may have the same cause - as I recall, stale entries for pathnames to obsolete sources in the registry which affect the operation of the installation of the .msi installation file.

I had a technical support engineer who called me at home to help, and I collected a lot of data with the logging that was enabled that led them to this solution - so, they do have experience solving Error 1612 problems, however, I don't know if the same engineer got swept up in their layoffs last year.

Good luck,

-- Tom

http://forums.techguy.org/t353088.html The rather obtuse "Error 1612" message occurs when attempting to install a new version of an application using the Windows Installer that attempts unsuccessfully to install application dependent MSI packages and issues the confusing message:

"Error 1612: The installation source for this product is
not available. Verify that the source exists and that you
can access it."

Error 1612 has a number of causes some of which the Windows Installer team developers have listed in their Windows Installer FAQ as (Note: words/comments bracketed by <> and () are my words/comments, not Windows Installer Team's):

1) The <complaining>.msi Windows Installer Package may have the ResolveSource action (improperly coded) in its sequence table,
2) It may have either an unpopulated (or sparsely populated) MsiFileHash table, and
3) It may also require a missing cached package for the product to be installed, the source for which is required to re-cache.

My experience with Error 1612 is that improperly coded Windows Installation packages (<name>.msi files) rely on out-of-date (search order)information like missing "LastUsedSource" entries in the Registry, and consequently fail to properly code a set of check conditions that would prevent such problems. These problems can be traced back to the <application> developers that "improperly" code the Windows Installation Packages. Obviously, by improper, I mean that there exists a coded dependency in the Windows Installation Package (to be installed) which refers to source that no longer exists or exists in a different location, and the default search order rules in conjunction with the assumption that the source will exist is at fault and directly causes this problem.

Here's how I solved my Error 1612 problem (Standard disclaimer - this method solved my problem, there is no guarantee it will solve yours, but its worth a try if you are solidly backed up to restore):

Prior to following the method given, it is wise to backup any software related to the current version of the <application> you are running and trying to install, so you can get functionality back if for some reason this method does not work for you.

Start by backing up the current Registry on desktop and see Notes below prior to starting this procedure. Also, if your <application> includes email capability, e.g. ISP software, then backup both email and address book prior to beginning the remainder of this procedure.

1) Instrument Windows Installer logging (policy) by creating the following 5-line file named mylogdebug.reg - blank line after REGEDIT4:
--------------cut here--------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer]
"Logging"="voicewarmup"
"Debug"=dword:00000007
--------------cut here--------------------
2) Start->Run->regedit->Registry->Import Registry File and
import mylogdebug.reg into your registry. This will create several randomly named msinnnnn.log files in your C:\Windows or "%temp%" directory after a good/bad install.
3) Try installing your <application> again.
4) Look for the occurrence of "Error 1612" in one of the msi*.log files that were generated. You are looking for a hint like a pathname associated with "LastUsedSource" in the log. Pick a unique substring, i.e. one of the subdirectories (partial path) of the full path listed that is associated with the message "Source is invalid due to missing/inaccessible package."
5) Start->Run->Regedit
6) Edit->Find->"unique substring" and uncheck the Match whole string only block.
7) For any hits in the find, delete the key in the left hand panel (ONLY if its associated with a previous version of the <application> - i.e. one of its *.msi windows installer packages you are attempting to install).
8) Uninstall previous version of <application> (already fully backed up!) with Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. If not in add/remove list, then manually uninstall previous version of <application> by removing all entries in the Registry of the <application>, and any Program Files directories and any Windows\Application Data directories associated with old version of the <application>. Note: these should have all been backed up prior to beginning in order to recover functionality in case some other problem occurs.
9) Reboot
10) Install your <application>!

You do not have to remove the logging policy, it will work for you the next time there is an installation problem when Windows Installer Packages (*.msi files) are installed - just consult the msi*.logs.

Good luck,

-- Tom

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online

Members online