1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Easiest way to get files to new HDD...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by black ballon, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. black ballon

black ballon Thread Starter

I have a friend visiting in a minute and I'm going to attempt to fix his computer.

He wants to get some old files off his old HDD and put them onto his new one. The motherboard only supports 1 HDD at a time. What would be the easiest way to get the files off the old HDD and put them onto the new one?

He doesn't have a CD burner either. The only thing I can think of is put the files onto his online e-mail then download them after his new HDD is plugged in.

Any other ideas?

2. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

network them?

3. black ballon

What do I network it to?

4. black ballon

The same computer that needs the files is the one getting the HDD replaced.

5. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

the com your on now? easiest way. do you have a router? maybe for your broadband/cable?

6. hgibbs8129

hgibbs8129

an ide hard disk? or sata?

7. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Firstly, you say it only supports 1 hd.. I dont know of any board that has a single SATA connector, and if its PATA, you should be able to connect 2 drives on one cable. Might need a new cable, of course.
    Second way, is to remove his drive from the computer, plug it into yourrs, and copy everythibng there, then transfer to the new disk.
    :)

8. brandonbr

brandonbr

If its not too many files you can just place them on a USB drive or external HD and move them over.

9. gomes

gomes

External HD would be the best and easiest option. Although, you might need to install the software that comes with the external onto both computers. Some external hd's though, Western Digital My Book, is plug and play. You just plug in the drive and the computer will automatically recognize the device. However, this isn't the case with all. How big are the files that you're trying to save?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice