1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Easiest way to...

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by GNOME32, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GNOME32

GNOME32 Banned Thread Starter

Hi,

I would like to uninstall Ubuntu from my system, and it looks like it's no simple process, so what would be the easiest way for me to get it off and for Windows to boot how it normally would without GRUB or Linux?

Thanks!

2. saikee

saikee

Task B1 oe B2 in the last link of my signature refer.

Task B7 if it is a Vista.

3. GNOME32

What if I formatted the Linux partitions (ext and swap), and used Super GRUB Disc to reinstall Windows's NTLDR boot loader to MBR?

4. RobLinux

RobLinux

If you can boot Windows now, then all you need do is let it reuse the Linux partitions by deleting them to make freespace, unless you load Windows via GRUB boot process and menu in Linux, in which case you should sort out a native M$ only boot process on 1 disk before you touch anything else.

5. GNOME32

Well, ideally I would like to resize the Windows partition to fit the rest of the hard drive. I can boot both fine, I would just like the simplest way to take Linux off so I can install it on a different computer.:cool:

6. RobLinux

RobLinux

So just boot into Linux single user mode on the Rescue disk. Get root shell, and at # prompt, type fdisk on the linux disk (if you have 2.6 kernel, ls /dev/disk/by-id/* shows you your hard disks), delete all 0x82 & 0x83 partitions, any Linux RAID partitons or Linux Logical Volume Manager stuff. Write the partition table, making sure you have not deleted any MS stuff, and that the partition number of all MS OS partitions is not altered.

Then use MS Utility to resize the C: drive (included in Vista) perhaps something like Partition Magic, which isn't expensive compared to most MS software.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice