1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

easily copy files to multiple folders

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vookster82, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Hi, so i decided to use a background image for my flash drive..and i even went all out and am even using a custom icon...i know....lame. But it serves a awesome purpose when i have a ton of other drives to distiuish from.

Any ways...i want to copy my custom desktop.ini file and background image to all of my folders that i have on my flash drive...several hundred. So needless to say i dont want to to this one by one to each folder.

Any ideas or a simple program that will copy files to all selected folders?

Thanks for reading.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You should be able to create a for loop with a batch file to recursively copy to a destination.

Code:
    FOR /F %%A IN ('dir f:\ /b /ad /s') DO (
         copy /y X:\path\desktop.ini %%A
         copy /y X:\path\somepic.jpg %%A
         )

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

A little correction to that code. Thanks to Devil_Himself for reminding about spaces in paths.

Code:
    FOR /F "delims=" %%A IN ('dir f:\ /b /ad /s') DO (
         copy /y "X:\path\desktop.ini" "%%A"
         copy /y "X:\path\somepic.jpg" "%%A"
         )

4. vookster82

vookster82 Thread Starter

Thanks squash.
    I had a little trouble with the coding and couldnt get it to work right, but thats just me..im horrible without a GUI usually :eek:

However, i did come across a FREE little app that worked perfectly for changing my flash drive background / wallpaper. It's called windowpaper from sodabrush.com

It's in beta, but i beat the heck out of it via XP and never had one issue. I even changed the backgrounds on all my local partitions. :p

So anyone looking for a similar solution, check out sodabrush.com.
    Please note the software is only for changing backgrounds and icons...no special mass file copy stuff.

Thanks again Squash(y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!