Easy and efficient file execution

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aewarnick

Running executables in Linux is a pain! Does anyone know of any programs that make it easy?

aewarnick

I'm not having problems with a particular one. I just think that linux needs a doulble click to install feature available. Is there anything like that or something close?

aewarnick

I can't depend on Linspired programs.

There has to be a program that will run files by right click and choosing from the shell context menu.

Linspire only comes with Click-N-Run as far as I can tell. You could try installing another distro's package manager like this: http://www.linspireguide.com/hint116 but i'm not sure it would be any more reliable.
Any particular reason you're using linspire if you don't want their packages?

Lots of distros have easy package managers but I'm not sure what exactly it is that you don't like about Linspire's (besides not being free, of course.) Have you looked at Mandriva or SuSe?

aewarnick

I'm saying that not every program that I want is compiled in a clickable format such as Opera. I have thought about using Mandriva.

I am a programmer but have never made a program for Linux and don't really know much about the OS. Is that idea with a program that runs as a right click shell option to execute files such as .sh files a possobility? Because it is really annoying having to bring up the terminal window and typing in what I want to run and then the terminal window stays open! If I close it, the program closes! There has to be a better way.

Depends on the program...most GUI programs should run just fine without a terminal window open, but I can't help much with Linspire as I haven't used it myself.

aewarnick

Eventually, I want to use Linux as a web server. Would Mandriva be good for that?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online