1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Easy CD Creator 4 and CD-ROM freeze

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by rdkapp, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

I've got Easy CD Creator 4.02e and it seems to be working fine except in one situation. First, the details of my computer: I've got a SCSI CD-ROM (NEC CD-ROM Drive 464) (Drive F:\) and my CD writer is also a SCSI (Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32s) (Drive E:\). My computer is a Dell OptiPlex GXa, 266mhz, Pentium II, with 128 mb ram, running Windows 98se.

My problem is that whenever there is an audio CD in my CD-ROM (Drive F:\) and I run Easy CD Creator 4.02e, the CD-ROM (Drive F:\) locks up and the program Easy CD Creator also freezes. The same thing happens when I insert a CD in Drive F:\ while Easy CD Creator is running. After the freeze, I must reboot my computer to free the CD-ROM (Drive F:\). Therefore, I've got to make sure there is no audio CD in the CD-ROM (Drive F:\) before running the program, nor can I insert an audio CD in the CD-ROM while the program is running. This is a hassle and would like to know why it is doing that and how to stop it, or work around it. I did recently upgrade version 4.02e to version 4.05 in hopes that it would fix the problem but to no avail.

I have had good results ripping CD-Rs with Easy CD Creator 4.02e, however, since my CD-ROM (Drive F:\) is hooked into my sound card (CD-RW (Drive E:\) is not), I would like to use Easy CD Creator to listen and extract CD tracks, and it is not possible with the freezes. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have read several other posts of similar problems with the program, but nothing identical. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

2. ratchet

ratchet

rdkapp,
    Just burned my first cd tonight, after a month of upgrdes down loads and tech support.
    First, what are the system requirement for your burner, most are
    300mhz.
    I had to up grade my cpu, bios and via bus master pci ide controler driver. Then uchecked DMA in cd-rom settings.
    If your cpu is up to specs I would uncheck DMA, and give it a try.

3. rdkapp

rdkapp Thread Starter

Ratchet,
    Thanks for the reply. My Plextor CD-RW 12/10/32S is SCSI (not IDE) and only requires a 133 mhz cpu and I've had no problem burning CDs. I hope your first burn went well after the effort you made. However, my problem is that both the Easy CD Creator 4 program (that I use to burn) and my CD-ROM reader (which is also SCSI) freeze if there is an audio CD present in the CD-ROM reader while the Easy CD Creator 4 program is running. I've tried just about everything, including unchecking DMA in the CD-ROM settings in the Device Manager, but the DMA option is not present on my machine for either my CD-ROM reader or my CD-RW. This may because both drives are SCSI (I don't know). Anyway, I'm still looking for the answer.

4. slipe

slipe

With SCSI drives you won’t have DMA as a choice.

Have you turned your Auto Insert Notification off for both drives? You can’t packet write with it off, but it sometimes helps with EZCD.

Did you update DirectCD to 3.05 while you were at Roxio? It is always active to some degree unless you have completely removed it from your computer.

When you open EZCD it checks what is in your drives even with auto insert off. For some reason it isn’t liking audio CDs which is odd. I would uninstall EZCD and DirectCD (separate uninstalls) and reinstall them. DirectCD is more often a problem than EZCD so be sure to get them both. Apply the updates after the reinstall of course. You might also get the latest firmware from Plextor.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice