1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EASY HTPC Question.......

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by zapp22, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

I'm a dummy on HTPC, admittedly. So I've tried googling for answers to two easy questions but still quite in the dark. Thought I'd ask you experts.

1. HTPC. I have a little Aopen cube/shoebox that uses intel mobile parts and runs great. It has high-def surround audio, but not HD. So I can add a low power Vid card that does HD and has a HDMI output. No sweat. My question is this: on my Sony HDTV, I have lots of inputs, but I can't think through a way to give it another HDMI input, this from the little shoebox, and audio from the same [output across ??? kind of wire] and have it Sync'd by the HDTV set. .... Sony has specific input section for
    "PC", but its dated, even though the set is recent... the PC input section assumes VGA cabling and conventional audio inputs [L/R stereo, nothing more]. How do I pipe high def vid, and high def audio???

2. If I give up this idea, and instead use a New netbook that has an HDMI output, I'm assuming such netbooks integrate both Video and Audio into the HDMI transit, as it should be. Am I right in assuming that????

thx
    Z

2. Tantrix

Tantrix

1. If your video card (GPU) has an HDMI out then it likely is only for HD Video and will not be sending an audio stream. You would then need to use your soundcard's output and run a 1/8" stereo to RCA cable or if you are lucky enough to have a soundcard with optical out then you can run a Toslink or optical audio cable to your TV.

2. Not necessarily.... you would have to read the manual. Chances are the HDMI on a laptop would deliver both HD video and HD audio but find out for sure...don't assume.

3. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

yep, well you're confirming my suspicions, and unfortunately the menu system/firmware/software in the HDTV set does not seem to have the ability to associate video input separately from audio. it assumes that if you're on an HDMI input, it has what it needs.

YET, almost any sophisticated Home Theater setup has a PC in the mix somehow, and High Def PC at that. so how are they switching audio/vid?

4. Tantrix

Tantrix

I would double check to make 100% sure that the HDMI out on your PC does or does not send audio also. If it does than you should be golden with your TV (assuming it has an open HDMI input). If it doesn't check this out.

5. zapp22

zapp22 Thread Starter

interesting gadget. I'm surprised it hasn't sold way more - I only see one review on Newegg.

Yeah, I'm just not seeing any menu options on the Bravia that would allow me to freely associate one of the HDMI inputs with some other audio-in. I'm sure this has been addressed thousands of times by the folks doing HTPC integration...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975131

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice