1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Easy Peasy Question.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Peaker, Jan 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peaker

Peaker Thread Starter

Hi folks,

Hope you all had a good Christmas and New Year, and if you don't celebrate Christmas then hope you had a good whatever.

Anyway, here's my question, it's really easy.

What is the best scanning software out there?

I need one with loads of Bells and Whistles like OCR etc. Just so I can impress my friends.

Thanks,

Grant. :p

2. Rockn

Rockn

Depends on what you want to do. If you scanner si set up correctly most graphics packages allow you to aquire an image from your scanner so the better graphics package would be the issue there. For OCR you would need a seperate program and there are a lot of them out there, I think OmniPage is a good one but others will have their opinions. Don't try to impress your friends.....only try to impress yourself.

3. slipe

slipe

You are pretty much stuck with the actual scanner software that came with your scanner. If you got a cheaper model HP or Epson you don’t have many options in the scanner controls, but most brands offer decent control of your scans. With the cheaper Epsons and HPs you pretty much have to pull the scan into an image editing program to tweak the scan properly.

Look through the Scanning 201 section of Scantips. I thought I knew how to use a scanner until I ran across the site a couple of years ago. Don’t bother if you have a low end Epson or HP as you will just be frustrated to see what other people can do with their scanners. http://www.scantips.com

There are programs like Presto Page Manager that do both OCR and image editing, but I don’t think it does a great job of either. What image editing program and OCR did your scanner come with?

Many scanners come with entry level programs like Photoshop Deluxe and Picture-It. You outgrow them quickly. An excellent intermediate image editor is Ulead’s PhotoImpact. Another is Paint Shop Pro, but I’ve read several reviews that thought PhotoImpact was both more full featured and easier to use. Easy to use is important as image editing programs tend to be difficult to learn. I’ve been using Photoshop for six years and still haven’t completely mastered it. There are more tutorials for Paint Shop Pro online and you are more likely to get help with it on the boards. Both are excellent programs.

The Pagis Pro Millenium deal on the Scantips site is a good price. It includes Textbridge Pro OCR which is good software. The OmniPage Pro might be a little better but the price is higher. The Kai’s PhotoSoap that is included with Pagis Pro is another entry level image editing program and won’t take you very far, but you can do some neat stuff with it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!