Easy question about AMD Processors

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

airmcnair06

First of all, can someone direct me or tell me what amd is and all and how it differs from intel. It seems a lot of people like it, I am good with computers and have no idea why it is created, as an alternative to intel, I just started to notice it about a year ago. Ok, I am shopping for parts for a pc, I'm going to attempt to build my own, a few things have me stumped, one this amd thing; what are the numbers behind it in a description? For example, I was looking on tigerdirect.com and was wondering what they were, like I'm pretty sure the higher the number, the better, just as in intel, but is this true? Just help me, refer me to some site that explains it in plain english for me.

Thanx in advance

Think of it as Ford vs General Motors?

Why do we have it? Its competition.

A different architecture of CPU that still runs the same code.

The "numbers" are meant to be the "equivalent" clock speed to the Intel chips.
As the chip architecure is different, you cannot compare the raw clock speed.

airmcnair06

ok, and which one is the best/fastest?, as far as amd, like how I think intel 4 is the highest for intel maybe not, but you get the point...

Also, are all motherboards compatible with it? If not, how can I tell?

Thanx in adavnce

Most of the time we don't get into too much of a discussion about which is best--AMD or Intel processors. (which doesn't mean that it doesn't happen :D ) They are both good, although we all have our preferences. This is one place to read up on processors

Toms Hardware Guide

Motherboards are built either for Intel or AMD processors, but not both. In addition to further confuse things both Intel and AMD have many different types of processors so you have to make sure that the MB and processor are compatible.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!