1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Easy Share by Kodak

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Rep, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

I have about 1,500 pictures on my PC. But now when I want to have the Easyshare SW list the total collection, pictures are not displayed but rather a red X replaces the pic. Yet, each frame that had held a picture remains with there with its name.

have I lost all of those pictures? TY

2. wilson44512

wilson44512

3. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

Yes, I am attempting to view them in Easy Share. They list out in program, but rather than the pic showing, there is a red X replacing the pics.

4. wilson44512

wilson44512

if thats the case try a different viewer. like one of the ones i told you about an see what happens. another thing to try is . try to post one here an see if you or us can see it?

5. CarolinaBill

CarolinaBill

I think what you are seeing is the catalog to the pictures, not a link to the actual stored location. EasyShare (and Picasa2) create an indexed list to the pictures that you have added that carries a reference to the storage location for the actual picture file. When you change the location of that file or lose or delete it, the catalog will continue to show the identification of what it entered in its index, but when it tries to access that file, it can no longer find it and substitutes the X you are talking about.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I can only reinforce the use of a program such as Picasa, it's not only free, it will find every picture stored on your PC. Aslo I agree that what you are seeing is a "file list" of what was stored, any subsequent deletions or renaming of folders or images will show as an X

By the way, you should have at least 2 copies (on CD as an example) of any image you consider to be of value, storing them permanently on the hard drive only is a disaster waiting to happen.

7. Rep

Rep Thread Starter

TY - this is coming clear to me. I will download one of the programs and have it search for the pics. I will be out of town for a few days but will get back to you on the results.

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

8. slipe

slipe

IMO you are going to be in the same boat with Picasa. You might not want a program linked to your images and have that the only way to find them. I would find the image files and copy/paste them to My Documents > My Pictures. Windows usually defaults to looking for them there anyway. Once you are sure all of your photos are in My Pictures delete the original folder.

The easiest way to find your images if you don’t know where they are is to look at a current file from your camera. Back it up enough numbers so you know you are looking for a picture that is on the computer. Start > Search and look for the file. You can copy/paste the entire folder from the search results. I would go down one level and copy/paste the individual folders rather than the whole Kodak folder. It is easier to use that way. You can move all the folders at once with “Select all” and Copy.

Or you can look where EasyShare usually stores them on XP. C/Documents and Settings/All Users/Shared Documents/Shared Photos/Kodak.

Once you get the pictures where you can find them you can associate the files with any viewer. I prefer Irfanview, but if you like Picasa it works too. Irfanview will let you associate the files to Irfanview when you install it. Picasa probably does too.

I’m not objecting to using Picasa as a viewer but to having your images tucked far away so they aren’t easily accessible to other programs. Maybe Picasa can tell you where they are so you don’t have to use the search, but I would move them from the obscure folder EasyShare hides them in.

9. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Picasa does allow you to actually locate the images on the disk though, it's a built in feature that would be of great value in this case.
    That means you can locate their folder very quickly for backup purposes, or to relocate them into a tidy system.

I keep all my images under a folder located directly under the C: drive, well away from the "My Documents" area, as anything under My Documents is in danger if a log-in profile becomes corrupt, as is apt to happen.

10. slipe

slipe

I guess everyone is sensitive to particular computer problems they have had. Since Windows 95 I have never lost anything from My Documents where I keep general paperwork. My Pictures is a good place for many people to keep photos because it is so easily accessed from the Start menu. Windows also defaults there for downloads etc. I don’t understand the log-on problem as it applies to My Documents. I’m guessing you keep sensitive stuff there and have it password protected. If Rep is still in the legislature he might have a similar situation. But if that is the case I would hope you have some way of recovering the stuff that is log-on protected.

I don’t keep my photos on the C drive at all because I like to keep it lean for a current Ghost backup. They are on my second hard drive and backed up to the external.

If Rep wants another program to keep track of his photos Picasa is good. I still think he should move them to a more accessible folder. And if he doesn’t intend using Picasa for organizing his photos it is easy enough to find the photos without installing another program just to find them. They are all in one place in all probability and you don’t need a program to move them.

I have friends returning from vacation in a couple of days and I intend reinstalling EasyShare for them now that I found why it is slowing their computer. I’ll take a look to see if there is an easy way to link back to the missing photos. If the only problem is that EasyShare has lost track of the photos it might just be a simple matter of linking EasyShare back to them rather than messing with a new program.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice