easy way of un-installing Outlook Express?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dude21

Is there an easy way too un-install Outlook Express?

Not really....it is bundled with IE. Remove IE and you may get rid of OE also. Can I ask, "Why?"

Dude21

main reason is that I dont use it and not too mention all the bugs with it

Outlook only takes up about 4 megs of space on the drive,so if you are looking to free up space that wouldn't help much anyway.I have songs bigger than that on my hard drive.
If it's just a matter of not wanting to see Outlook in your program files you can just change the atributes to Hidden.

Just go to the folder in Program Files,right click and select Properties.At the bottom of the General tab select Hidden.You will no longer see Outlook when you are looking through the drive.

Dude21

no I want to remove it completly, I mean just look at all the patches for it from all the security issues, not too mention all the unknown security bugs x,x

The reason for all the patches and security patches for OE is two fold. One, people don't know how to set up Outlook Express properly in the first place and two, since it is the most widely used email program on the planet, hackers target it, same with Windows. I have used OE for years and never had a problem with it. People need to sit down and do some reading when they get a computer and try to understand the basic security configurations of their systems. But, alas, few do and that is why MS is force feeding us SP2.

Never had a problem with it but here goes.
Start / Control Panel / Add-Remove Programs
On the left hand side click Add-Remove Windows Components,
Untick Outlook Express.
:)

If you remove it you will have problems with IE.

You will also not be able to repair IE if you ever need to.

Don't 'cha just love Bill Gates? :D

Go to Control Panel - Add Remove Program
Choose Add / Remove Windows Component on the left panel (a new dialog will appear).
Scroll down and look for Outlook Express, uncheck it.

I dont recommend if you delete the folder C:\Program Files\Outlook Express after uninstallation of OE.
My recommendation is just leave those files as it. Once you have done the uninstallation procedure then it is enough. The OE is gone.
The other files left could still be used by other programs like Ms Outlook to convert OE's address book etc etc.

Dude21

thanks you guys. helped me alot - and I decided to just leave it as it is

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online