1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

easy way to connect laptop to desktop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tigsboy, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tigsboy

tigsboy Thread Starter

Is there a way of connecting a laptop to a desktop without having to install NIC's. Can it be done with just a cable.

2. Rikku

Rikku

Windows includes something called Direct Cable Connection that can be used to connect two pcs via a serial or parallel cable.

Its usually located in Start--Programs-Accessories--Communications...

If not, you can install it by going the 'Add/Remove Programs' Control Panel and pick it under Communications.

Someone posted a good link to a document about DCC a few days ago. Trying searching the Forums for 'Direct Cable Connection' and I'm sure you'll find lots of help.

3. tigsboy

tigsboy Thread Starter

Thanks for that.
    The laptop is Win 98 and the Desktop is XP. I'm connected ok with the laptop being the host and the desktop the client. Tells me they're connected but I can't seem to access any files. I've shared the folder that I want to transfer.
    One thing though. In the help menu I've got to the stage that I have to get into "Network Neighborhood", but I can't locate it at all. A search brings nothing on my C at all. I've been all through control Panel and searched everywhere I can think of.

4. faith

faith

Network Neighborhood is usually a shortcut on your desktop. I went crazy looking for mine too.

5. deuce

deuce

You can also use USB... might be a little faster than serial and parallel if you plan to use this permanetly or plan to transfer lots of files.

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

In Win98, Network Neighborhood can be seen through explorer. Just hold down the Windows Key and press the e. This will pop up an explorer window and network neighborhood should show up down under the local drive letters.

If you still don't see it, you will have to install network services on the laptop.

7. tigsboy

tigsboy Thread Starter

OK.
    I've had a good look and it turns out for some reason, Network neighborhood has been uninstalled. I've tried to find it on the install disc but can't locate it. Any help to re-install.

8. Brooks

Brooks Guest

9. tigsboy

tigsboy Thread Starter

Sorry guys but I'm still trying to sort this out. Can anyone tell me how to re install Network Neighborhood. I've had a looked on the installation disc but can't find it. I've also been to the MS download site but no luck. I hope I don't have to do a full install!!!!!!!!!

10. plejon

plejon

Just reinstall the network components. Then the "Network Neighborhood" icon will re-appear

Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Network
    Then re-installs adapters, protocols, etc

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61756

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice