1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Easy way to copy user settings to a new user profile?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mark069, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mark069

mark069 Thread Starter

I'm creating a new user profile and I want to have the same settings as an existing user account (desktop environment, etc.). Is there an easy way to just copy these old settings from the existing user account or must they all be manually netered and configured again for the new user account?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Start > Run:

sysdm.cpl

Under the Advanced tab, User Profiles Settings button, and there will be a list of profiles and the copy option.

If the profile is the usual size (several gigs), better pack a lunch. It will take a while, but at least you won't have to do it all manually.

3. mark069

mark069 Thread Starter

The "copy to" button was greyed out (not active) when I ran sysdm.cpl

Also, the only profiles listed were the ones I was currently logged into (I was logged into two of the four profiles at the time).

4. mark069

mark069 Thread Starter

I'm really surprised Vista doesn't have a straightforward way to duplicate the settings of an existing user since I think this is probably a pretty common thing to do initally when creating a new user profile.

5. Bman21

Bman21

I'm not a Vista guru but in XP if you copy over the NTUSER.DAT file from one user profile to the other, most of your personal settings will be restored. In order to do this you would need to do the following:

From explorer -> tools -> folder options -> view tab -> show hidden files and folders.

Navigate to the users profile that you want to copy and find the NTUSER.DAT file. Copy this file and then paste it into the user account that you want to have this profile. Just to be on the safe side I would recommend that you rename the NTUSER.DAT file that you are go to be overwriting to NTUSER.OLD first, but it really doesn't matter because if something didn't copy over correctly Windows will rebuild this file at first logon for this user. FYI, you can not be logged into the account that you are attempting to copy this profile over to becasue you will get an error message "File in use."

6. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

You cannot copy from or to a profile that is logged on.
    Create the new profile, sign in once to create the profile folder.
    log into the Administrator account, or an admin account that is not the one you want to copy (create a temp Admin account if needed) then copy the profile.

HTH

Jerry

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/824499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice