1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EasyClean

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jmcmh, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmcmh

jmcmh Thread Starter

On XP Pro I used Easyclean for years to clean the Registry and the Unnecessary files.
    It never gave me any trouble. It is version 10, and hasn't been updated for several years.

I loaded it on my W7 and this loaded successfully.
    I checked my 'registry' and found 1750 problems. I haven't removed them yet
    I checked 'unnecessary files' and found 1.2GB of stuff. Again I haven't removed it.

Can anyone tell me if it would be safe to go ahead and clean these two areas, or would there be any problems using this old program in W7.

Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is never a reason to "clean" the registry. It doesn't affect system speed and often slows things down as Windows and programs check 1000's of times each minute for entries that are mercilessly hacked out by a program that deletes anything it does not understand. None are safe, old or new. And there are not "errors", except as defined by the tools that claim to "fix" them.

Often the damage goes unnoticed until a repair will not work, and upgrade fails, or new hardware cannot be installed because all references to the hardware are removed when the "cleaner" can't find any attached, even though you may want it later.

"Junk" files are a choice you need to make. But I have found many files missing when I work on peoples' machines that I could have used to make repairs. Backups of the BCD registry, log files, and many more are often useful. If you are that desperate for space, you need a new drive.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    "Cleaning" the registry is never safe and not at all required, it does nothing to make the computer run better but just pads the developer's pockets and can severely damage an operating system as you'll find lots of people who's computer had to reformatted to fix the issues "fixed" by a registry cleaner.

And a program that hasn't been updated for anything beyond XP should not be run on an unsupported operating system, there's no way it'll know that to "fix" or not.

If you want to clean junk files then you can use CCleaner but again without the registry part.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    ToniArts EasyCleaner 2.0.6.380 did work reasonably well with Windows XP, but it hasn't been updated in years and isn't designed to work with Windows Vista and Windows 7.

And as Triple6 and Elvandil have already advised you, there's no speed and performance benefit in using a registry cleaner, especially a very outdated one.

If you had chosen to allow those 1,750 "problems" to be removed, you likely would've wound up with a damaged Windows operating system and broken programs and non-working computer.

-----------------------------------------------------------

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

And don't fall for the claims that the cleaners are going to make the machine "more stable" and "eliminate problems". Most problems with stability are caused by services and drivers, 2 sections of the registry even the worst among them avoid like the plague. They know that their typical errors there could bring down a machine, and they don't want to get sued until they get their first checks rolling in from the unwary and take off for Brazil (the US has no extraditon treaty with Brazil).:D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1032155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice