1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

EasyWrite (Mount Rainier MRW)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Tabvla, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Can any Forum member confirm if all versions of Vista support the Mount Rainier (MRW), commonly known as EasyWrite, optical media format.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill. Yes, the first place I looked was Microsoft and then Answers.com.

The information is vague and outdated. Vista started life with more bells and whistles than a Thailand Taxi, but it is still a bit of a mystery as to what is actually going to be in/out of the final releases and what functionality will be switched on/off between versions.

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I have not the slightest idea what the program is, but had a quick browse. It seems that it is the capability of the HD rather than the OS. However, I found this:
    "Mount Rainier will be implemented natively in Windows Vista, which is scheduled to release at the beginning of 2007."
    Have a look yourself - there is quite a lot more. Here's the link:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Rainier_(packet_writing)

5. JohnWill

Everything I read says Vista will support Mount Rainier format, but of course you need a drive that also supports it. The real test would be for you to send me a Mount Rainier compatible drive and I'll test it on my copy of Vista. :D

6. Tabvla

Tabvla Thread Starter

Thanks JohnWill,

Great idea!! 3 Mount Rainer drives in the mail to you today.

Can I please have the results on Test Form 7a in triplicate.

:D

7. JohnWill

You bet, Test Form 7A it is. ;)

8. RonCam

RonCam

[​IMG](TM) Philips N.V.
    Just came across this thread, I see someone is looking for a Mount Rainier/EasyWrite drive to test with Vista.

Call your friendly dealer and ask for a Samsung SH-182M. I think its very widely available ... and reasonably priced, according to Computer Shopper's best buy designation of a few months ago. It comes up as Mount Rainier compatible on Nero's InfoTool, as well as on CS Tech Editor Alan Lu's feature chart. And, no, you won't see it on the box.;)

Is a DVD-burner 100% EasyWrite/MRW compatible if it only does CD-MRWs? This one appears to drop back to plain UDF packet writing on DVD+RWs. At least, the Properties box for a formatted disc lacks the EasyWrite designation, and the Mount Rainier selection is unavailable when formatting.

This is with Roxio/Sonic DLA (final version) and it's also possible this software doesn't support DVD+MRW formatting. The Help documentation mentions only CD-MRW. If anyone gets a different result with this drive and Vista, let us know.

But, the drive claims DVD-RAM compatibility, so maybe it's better to get a few new higher speed DVD-RAM discs rather than go with regular discs and forego the Mount Ranier error checking/correction ... with little or nothing to replace it.

You can test it with Vista, and post the results here. If Vista has what it's supposed to, I expect the results (with this drive) would be as follows:
    (y) CD-MRW
    (n) DVD+MRW
    (y) DVD-RAM

Post a reply if you can get Vista to format a DVD+MRW with this drive. Nero Disc Info (in main program) will tell you if you really have a Mount Rainier disc.

There is also a more-expensive HP burner (DZ555B) that may have full compatibility, but I don't personally have one. Also, the new Plextor PX-755A that promises full compatibility with current firmware. On both you lose the DVD-RAM capability, however.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536014

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice