1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

eating gb's on my C drive (yes, I've downsized shadow storage etc)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gizmo1st, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gizmo1st

gizmo1st Thread Starter

Hi everyone. I am in DESPERATE need of help. My CD drive is being eaten. Any time I move something to make room, within a few minutes all memory is eaten up. Done the whole %temp% thing, and vssadmin stuff in command prompt to no avail. Also tried various program which helped at first, but then the memory disappeared yet again. I haven't installed jack on the C drive in about a year, and I am about to reinstall the system which is really problematic for me, being a music producer and having to renew some of my licences on software etc.....

PLEEEEAAASSSEEEE someone help me.

Windows 7
    Quad Core Q6600
    6bg Ram

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy and welcome.

Download and run windirstat, and then post back with where the majority of the data is hiding.

https://windirstat.info/

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you move something within the same partition no space is freed.

What size is the "C drive" and how much is free?

4. gizmo1st

gizmo1st Thread Starter

I have had windirstat, as I stated before, and it helped for a second, but then all went to hell again. Since that time, nothing helps. As you can by the attached file, my windows folder accounts for most of the eat up.....

In reply to another of you - I have one 400 gb hard disc, which, being the prat I am, I decided to segregate into three drives in hopes of containing only my system on C (The smallest partition). So I have 40 gb on the C drive (which a few years I go I judged to be enough for the system - how bloody wrong I was). That being said, I install all my programs on the D and E drives, and store all pics/multimedia etc. on my 2tb external drives.
    Thanks everyone in advance for any help you offer.

Adam

Attached Files:

5. valis

valis Moderator

that's a pretty small HD there, only 40 gigs....it looks like you might be able to clean up a bit in users, but that's about it. I'd also check to make sure you aren't storing multiple restore points.

6. gizmo1st

gizmo1st Thread Starter

As I stated in my original post, I freed up tons of space (about 10 gb) based on deleting previous restore points, lessening the amount of memory allocated to shadow copies, preventing the computer from making restore points, but it didn't matter, whatever I did it just keeps chewing away at the momenry. I am stuck between 300mb and 1gb all the time. Everytime I mange to free up even a drop, two more drops replace it.

7. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Your Windows folder is using 22GB. (120,702 files)
    Comparing my 64 bit Home Premium, it is 24.7GB with 103,469 files.

You need to expand C so Windows has room to breathe.

8. gizmo1st

gizmo1st Thread Starter

Well, I am not sure how to expand C into my other drive partitions without losing data - I have been told it is a dangerous thing to do, and considering I have a lot of important info, I think I am stuck.....

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice