eBay suspension security breach mystery

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ducatigirl

My eBay account was suspended by eBay and their email said they had evidence that my password may have been compromised.
I have replied to them but have no response yet, but guess they could take some time.
I find it difficult to see how this could be true as I use a security password tool that enables me to store highly secure passwords and I have been using one with 20-22 characters for my eBay account for a few months.
However, I do use Anonymizer 2005 and am aware that when signed onto eBay there have been occasions when I have been impatient with a refresh so switched of anonymous browsing.
Is it possible that whilst logged onto eBay and switching between an SSL encrypted proxy server and my own IP address that this is the cause of the apparent breach?

I was sent the same thing yesterday and it was a fake website trying to steal my pass account..... i use firefox spoofing....and it was a fake site...so be careful about filling this out.....

You should forward any email that you think is suspicious to spoof@ebay.com. They will reply to you usually within 24hrs.

Like SIR****TMG said it is most likely a scam. I hope you didn't go to any link site that was contained in the email and give out any information. If you did you should contact ebay immediately and tell them what you did. Check out this link to find out more...

http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/?ssPageName=home:f:f:US

ducatigirl

Thanks for the advice, but I was currently selling and the auction was ended early by eBay with a separate email telling me this.
I also had email from other eBayers saying it had disappeared from their watch list.
I tried to log into eBay again and had the message that my account had been suspended.
It was only after this that I checked email to see the message from eBay advising me of account suspension due to possible security breach.
There were no links in the email from eBay.

I'm afraid I have to agree that it sounds like a spoof to me. Large corperations and businesses like ebay and banks don't ask for personal information by e-mail usually.

ducatigirl

Thanks HillBillyJim - that did the trick.
eBay confirmed it was not a spoof and have reinstated my account after the "chat". Although they were unable to confirm if it was Anonymizer that potentially caused the issue.
I believe it is the most plausible answer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online