1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ed to sync two folders that contain a lot of music?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Imola Ghost, Oct 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Imola Ghost

Imola Ghost Thread Starter

I've got my PC at home with almost all of the music but I travel a lot and acquire a lot of music while I'm on the road.

The PC hard drive at home has about 23,000 songs and my external usb hard drive contains those songs also, but I've added quite a bit to my external drive and my wife had added some to the PC at home while I've been away.

Can I use Microsoft's SyncToy 2.0 to get the 2 music folders in sync? I want the information to be both ways, meaning I want it to update the latest information like if all I did was change an ID tag on the external hard drive all that I want it to do is update the ID tag on the PC.

Any help?

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I think SyncToy must be able to do that, I use the free version of Syncback from BrightSparks and that can do it. Its in both names so it better eh?

As long as the file gets a new time stamp when you change the ID tag, the newer file will replace the older file. You want the true syncronization setting where it copies all new and updated files from source location to the destination location and in turn, copies all new and updated files from destination location to the source location.

There's also a free software program from Microsoft called Live Sync (requires a Live or hotmail account), where you can add the two locations on each computer and have them sync files anytime they are connected through the Internet.

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

It should work as long as the directory structures are setup the same on each drive.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

There are better options than synctoy, as fairnooks has already stated. I used synctoy when I had a large mp3 collection and did not trust it, I always found myself checking pending changes before I allowed it to make any, kept finding changes that made no sense, and would disable them, I did not trust it with my data. Tried different settings and options, nothing worked to my satisfaction.

5. Imola Ghost

Imola Ghost Thread Starter

I might look at that Live Sync as I could sync up everything even while I'm away.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867745

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice