1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

(Ed)Ubuntu - Help with Childs PC - Internet

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by KaIIen, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I gave to my 8yo daughter my old custom built PC. It's now running Edubuntu 10.10. What I need to do is blacklist the entire internet, but have a whitelist of sites that are like children's educational games and her site for her school. Under parental controls (Nanny I think) I have options to control time of day or time of usage. There is a web filter that has a blacklist page and an allow page. How do I set this to ONLY allow what is on the allowed page??? I realize my router can blacklist certain words or what not, but I want to simply block everything.

Thanks!

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

3. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Yes, I believe it is. Thanks

4. 1002richards

That's a good start I think!
    Have you installed the separate Nanny Blacklist shown under "Requirements"?

Richard

5. arochester

arochester

6. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

@1002richards - Yes, I have Blacklist. But What I want is to have just a whitelist. NOTHING but the sites I allow.

@arochester - Not sure I totally understand...tihs service looks like it controls all computers. In my case, I want to leave the other devices on my network alone and just have a whitelist for her single system.

7. 1002richards

Hi Kallen,
    I can't find much documentation for "gnome Nanny and I've spent an hour just now doing a good old Google search - sorry 'bout that but let's see if anyone else can help ....

Richard

8. arochester

arochester

9. 1002richards

10. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.! But here's where my problem is. I have it checked for web filtering, and I have entered my list of sites I want her to have access to. But even so, it still allows access to any site I enter, not just the allowed. I understand about downloading a pre-made list of blacklisted sites...but I want to block everything. Period. no black list, just the allowed whitelisted sites. My understanding was that by entering the allowed sites, anything that wasn't in the allowed list would be blocked, but it's not.

11. MHorton

MHorton

what seems to work for me is to make a forbidden site with an url of just one dot. the allowed sites list will override this. it also seems that i have to use sudo /etc/init.d/nanny restart after making changes before they take effect. im using ubuntu 10.10

12. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks, that's exactly what I want to do. However... the Allowed list will not override the forbidden "." url. When I try to open an allowed site, it just has in large letter "Nanny Parental Controls".

13. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Any more suggestions? Thanks!

14. 1002richards

15. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Thanks for thinking of me a few weeks later! :) You know, I never even thought about FF add-ons! I was focusing on stand alone programs! I am looking through the list of add-ons now for one that will do what I am looking for...block EVERYTHING except what's on my allowed list. Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974662

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice